Wooden cage accessories

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackie925

Are wooden ledges, ramps, houses, etc. ok in a chin cage as long as they’re made of kiln-dried aspen? (There’s another wood chins are safe with, isn’t there? Haven’t had a chin in several years, and I’m struggling to remember. Any & all suggestions welcome!)

Wood ledges and houses make of chin safe wood are great since they give the chin something extra to chew on. Ramps though are not needed unless your chin is disabled and unable to jump. Here is a list of chin safe wood. The most popular and easiest to get at a building store for making your own are poplar and kiln dried pine.

92419564_10216710119969816_2657289437037199360_n.jpg

As Amethyst said, wood shelves, toys, and other accessories are great so long as they're made from a chew-safe wood and don't use any toxic adhesives in the construction.

My girl's cage has a bunch of shelves and accessories that are mostly made from kiln-dried pine, which seems to be the most common wood you'll find for those sorts of things. It's safe, it's relatively inexpensive, and it looks pretty and smells nice. Poplar is also pretty common, and I've come across a few things made from aspen. All three are good and chin-safe, in addition to all those on Amethyst's list. Kiln-dried pine, poplar, and aspen just seem to be the most readily available.

Thanks for posting that list, Amethyst! I was actually looking for it recently and was having trouble finding it.

Back