• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Chins-N-Hedgies and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wood & Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a better deal to just pick 4? The small wood sampler box gives you 280-450 twigs, does the rainbow box only give you about 70?

It's always a better deal to purchase larger quantities. By the pound get's you the best deals. The idea behind the Rainbow Samplers is that you get to try a whole bunch of different types of wood and not invest a lot of money in a wood your chin decides not to like. They are also individually packaged and marked so you know which variety is which and can order larger quantities of favorite woods in the future.

Side note - wood tastes different depending upon the season it is harvested due to sap flow. That's one of the reasons your chin will love a wood and next time you order that same wood it may not be the same season harvest and the chin might not like it or might not like it as well.

The only way I've ever purchased wood is by flat rate boxes, not pounds, so I'm not sure how to mentally compare. I've purchased numerous Medium flat rate boxes for about $40 (with hanging toys and sticks) and a Large flat rate box for $70 (sticks/twigs, 6 hanging toys, and homemade treats). For now I'll just stick with a sample box, then once I figure out what they love best, order a huge box.

I don't know how to compare flat rate boxes you've purchased from other people either, but I pack my boxes PAST full line. I get every ounce of wood in that box that will go. You can ask anybody who has purchased wood from me that a full medium box of twigs and/or sticks will cost you around $100 to $120 by the time I get through with it. I've even gotten $180 worth of wood in the large box. Of course that's just sticks and twigs, not chew chunks or coins as those tend to take up more room, however, I can still pack them in. This is the main reason I ask for a budget someone tells me to "fill a box." I can go a bit crazy getting it all in...

Also, I want to get a treat sampler, can I replace the Papaya and Goji Berries with extra rosebuds or oat blend? Will it be the same price?

I can adjust the contents of the treat sampler for you, don't know the difference in price but you might want to consider just purchasing the items you want instead. Since you are already going to purchase a sampler box consider the fact sampler boxes have shipping included and most of the time I can fit extra things in those boxes as well. In any case, if I can get the order combined into one box and there is extra shipping left over I let you know the amount of credit you have and ask if there is something else you want added to the order.

Right now I have 2 orders I'll be filling and once I get them full I'll be contacting the purchasers and letting them know how much credit they have coming and ask them what they want to add to the order to use up that credit. Figuring shipping through PayPal is hit and miss so I always try to keep an eye on what goes through so that everybody gets a fair shake.

Ronda

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. I completely missed the Feed/Supplements tab, I was thinking it was something else. I'll be placing an order now.

:thumbsup:

Rhonda, what's the best way to powder the bee pollen? Can I grind it in a food processor?
I got the package today, I can smell the roses, supplements and wood through the box lol. Love it, thanks!

Alena,

I actually don't know how to powder it. Maybe try one of those quick whiz blenders like the bullets or a nut grinder maybe? Why do you want to powder it? I eat it in yogert and the chins like to eat it like it is.

Ronda

Hum, don't know what a chew tow is but I was able to mash it into powder with a spoon.

People have asked me if I am keeping the wood business going even after I sell all the chins. YES I will continue with the wood along with my hospital job and the music store.

I will be moving someday soon (I hope) and closing the music store or maybe dad will be taking it over and then I'll only have the 2 jobs left.

Ronda

All woods still in stock except mulberry and some pear is out of stock.

Thanks to all the chinnies who love my wood!

Ronda

Heya Ronda, appox. how many lbs of wood can fit in a medium rate box? And do you still have pear twigs left?

Heya Ronda, appox. how many lbs of wood can fit in a medium rate box? And do you still have pear twigs left?

Depends upon the wood and the size. If it's twigs (smaller wood) then 4 to 5 lbs, if it's sticks then I can usually get 6 to 8 lbs in a medium box.

Some woods take up more room because they are odd shaped like the sycamore and cork screw willow and even some of the cottonwood is weird and has funny bumps or almost fat ripples all around them so they take up more room too!

Hi there, could I get a flat rate box of willow? Thanks

Yep, just let me know what kind(s) of willow and how much you want!!!

Ronda

Can you just mail me an entire tree? I think it would please the chinchillas. :rofl:

I'll be placing another order soon for some wood by the pound. :D

Do you have pear twigs left?

Yep, I still have pear twigs and also some pear chew chunks but not much in the way of pear coins.

:laughitup: From what I've heard, I'm sure she could do it. Maybe even a Medium flat rate box.

When I buy a house, I'm putting in trees immediately for the chinchillas.

LOL - I haven't even bought a house yet and still purchased 3 apple trees last fall. Hum, ended up putting them on my gma's property and my brother moved in there...

Yep, I'll work on getting that medium box for you!!!

Ronda

sent you an order Rhonda. If theres room in the box, can you fill it with apple twigs ? I can pp the extra. Thank you!

Mulberry back in stock! Have processed some this last week and will pick up a tree on Sunday or Monday so will be busy processing more all next week.

Ronda

Back