Wood For Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchillaville13

Hey y'all!

Hey, I have some cool wood in my dad's garage and wanted to make something cool out of it for Pedro, my chinchilla. I think it's either mesquite or buckthorn. It has old holes in it from beetles and looks super cool, so I wanted to see if I could make chews or a perch out of it. I would make sure he can't get his limbs stuck and broken.

Also, if you have cool ideas to cover the holes, do share, I'd like some suggestions! I want to see if I can do more than use it as a chew or decoration.

I will post a picture of it next time I can to see if you know what it is, but it might be a bit as my parents are split up and I am at my mom's.

Anyway, if it is mesquite or buckthorn, are those safe for chinchillas?

Thanks a billion y'all!

Best to use KD pine or poplar. Can find them at most home improvement stores.
Pedro LOVES poplar. I get little twigs from our 2 poplars and make all sorts of stuff for him with them, but he likes them just plain (cleaned as well, of course).

Wait, so I was thinking.

Manzanita wood grows all funky, and I can sand off the sharp edges to make cool perches and whatnot.

Is Manzanita safe for chinchillas?

Thanks! Do they sell it in logs? It might be cool to buy a stump, hollow it out and make a guy, and make ledges on whatever branches are left
That I don't know, aside from some online stores that sell chew sticks and chunks, or petstores and amazon that sell bird perches, I don't even know where you would buy it. Just make sure where ever you get it that it's 100% organic, nothing ever sprayed on or around it since some chemicals can stay in wood for decades.

That I don't know, aside from some online stores that sell chew sticks and chunks, or petstores and amazon that sell bird perches, I don't even know where you would buy it. Just make sure where ever you get it that it's 100% organic, nothing ever sprayed on or around it since some chemicals can stay in wood for decades.
Will do. Thanks!

Back