Quantcast

Wood For Chinchilla

Hey y'all!

Hey, I have some cool wood in my dad's garage and wanted to make something cool out of it for Pedro, my chinchilla. I think it's either mesquite or buckthorn. It has old holes in it from beetles and looks super cool, so I wanted to see if I could make chews or a perch out of it. I would make sure he can't get his limbs stuck and broken.

Also, if you have cool ideas to cover the holes, do share, I'd like some suggestions! I want to see if I can do more than use it as a chew or decoration.

I will post a picture of it next time I can to see if you know what it is, but it might be a bit as my parents are split up and I am at my mom's.

Anyway, if it is mesquite or buckthorn, are those safe for chinchillas?

Thanks a billion y'all!

Best to use KD pine or poplar. Can find them at most home improvement stores.
Pedro LOVES poplar. I get little twigs from our 2 poplars and make all sorts of stuff for him with them, but he likes them just plain (cleaned as well, of course).

Wait, so I was thinking.

Manzanita wood grows all funky, and I can sand off the sharp edges to make cool perches and whatnot.

Is Manzanita safe for chinchillas?

Amethyst

Staff member
Thanks! Do they sell it in logs? It might be cool to buy a stump, hollow it out and make a guy, and make ledges on whatever branches are left
That I don't know, aside from some online stores that sell chew sticks and chunks, or petstores and amazon that sell bird perches, I don't even know where you would buy it. Just make sure where ever you get it that it's 100% organic, nothing ever sprayed on or around it since some chemicals can stay in wood for decades.

That I don't know, aside from some online stores that sell chew sticks and chunks, or petstores and amazon that sell bird perches, I don't even know where you would buy it. Just make sure where ever you get it that it's 100% organic, nothing ever sprayed on or around it since some chemicals can stay in wood for decades.
Will do. Thanks!

Latest posts