Wild Harvest Wood Chews?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnStar

Are these safe for chinchillas? Several people I know use them...but that doesn't say much. Lol

Attachments

• 15825861850246811016189317909252.jpg
    15825861850246811016189317909252.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4
Safe, yes, but they do tend to bleed color if they get wet (peed on, water bottle leak, bit of saliva from mouth, etc), so keep that in mind before freaking out if your chin has color on them, especially with the red ones 😉 lol.

Safe, yes, but they do tend to bleed color if they get wet (peed on, water bottle leak, bit of saliva from mouth, etc), so keep that in mind before freaking out if your chin has color on them, especially with the red ones 😉 lol.
I was freaking out momentarily because I saw some random amazon review that they were maple wood. I emailed Wild Harvest but I haven't heard back and I'm impatient, but know this is a great community! For two seconds, I was like, "OMG, am I slowly poisoning my sweet chinchillas?!"

For future reference, if a chin has a wood that isn't safe for them (baseboards and such), what do you do besides remove if possible, etc? I'm asking because like for dogs you can use peroxide to get them to throw up. Obviously, not for chins.. but what would you do? I'm assuming just take precautions for something like that to NOT happen.

Those chews are pine, I only question the "fruit flavor" but apparently it's not enough to really be a concern.

I don't think there is anything like that for chins, they physically can't throw up so I think you would have to contact the vet and hope for the best. Baseboards and stuff like that they are unlikely to swallow enough before you noticed to cause too much issue (chins should never be left unsupervised). I guess the best you might be able to do is push fluids and maybe active charcoal to hopefully absorb any toxin.

I just got an email from the manufacturer that says they're made of maple but safe for chinchillas. I thought maple is on the bad list :oops: is maple on the bad list ? What should I do ?

Attachments

• 20200228_161954.jpg
    20200228_161954.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
I just got an email from the manufacturer that says they're made of maple but safe for chinchillas. I thought maple is on the bad list :oops: is maple on the bad list ? What should I do ?
That is weird, someone else in a chin FB group said they were pine :unsure:, maybe they were thinking of a different brand. No, maple is not safe for chins, I would stop giving them to the chins right away. I'm sorry, I should have looked it up myself, I was just going by what I was told in another group. 🙁 Researching maple, certain kinds are safe, but others like red maple, is toxic. They may be of a safe maple kind, so they may be harmless, but I wouldn't trust it and just be glad no issue has happened yet.

That is weird, someone else in a chin FB group said they were pine :unsure:, maybe they were thinking of a different brand. No, maple is not safe for chins, I would stop giving them to the chins right away. I'm sorry, I should have looked it up myself, I was just going by what I was told in another group. 🙁 Researching maple, certain kinds are safe, but others like red maple, is toxic. They may be of a safe maple kind, so they may be harmless, but I wouldn't trust it and just be glad no issue has happened yet.
I get my sticks from Rondas Chins and she doesn’t sell maple or oak for health reasons. Also their email said “should” be fine which to me reads she doesn’t know for sure.

Maple is dangerous, I'm not sure exactly what makes it so but Ronda's doesn't offer it or oak because it makes people sick when it is cut. The sawdust causes major skin and eye irritation along with breathing problems so I imagine it would eventually cause issues with chinchillas. Since they locally harvest and cut everything by hand they tend to avoid the dangerous stuff for safety reasons. :)

Back