Wild chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgar_8223

my chin keeps on biting and idk what to do =[ please help =[ im very sad because i really want to bond and he keeps on biting what can i do =[ =[ =[

Give him some time to adjust. At first chins can be a little scared and even very nibbly because they are so excited about their new home and human! Put your hands and arms in the cage and let him get to know you, let him run all over you. The whole trick right now is to build his trust in you. Once he is trusting and gets over his fear you will have a wonderful pet. It just can take some time...he'll get over the biting soon, they usually will be like that for a week or two. ;)

time and patience is the only way to truly bond. Sit by his cage...do not try to pet or hold him. Just talk to him. Get him used to you, gain his trust by not pushing too hard to bond with him. This may take weeks, depending on his temperament. My chin wouldn't let me near her - she would kack at me - for at least a month. I let her control how quickly we would bond. She is a total sweetheart now. If you take the time to do it right, it will pay off.

If you aren't sure what to say just sit by his cage and read a book out loud. This way he can get used to you and your voice. Don't try to grab him or anything. Let him come to you when he is ready.

My girls are babies so things may be a bit different for me. People have told me babies are often more friendly especially if held regularly. Since day one if I put my hands in the cage, but didn't try to hold them/touch them, they would slowly come to inspect them, climb on them, etc. Sometimes they do nibble, one even bites on occasion. For her it's typically not a mean bite but more an exploratory bite that gets a little too hard. I either ignore it or I tell her "No" firmly. This typically works. However, I didn't do this the first day. If they kacked at me I would back off and take it slower, same with if they ran and hid. If you watch closely chinchillas aren't hard to read. You can tell when they are comfortable, scared, happy, etc. After a little over a month one of my girls still doesn't always want me to pet her (surprisingly she's not the one that bites) whereas the other one will let me pet her nearly whenever I want. They are both more grumpy at their typical sleeping times and more friendly in the evening/early morning. You might try offering some pellets or hay out of your hand to see if that tempts him or even a small treat depending on his age. Wooden chews and such can also be offered out of your hand. Once he gets comfortable with you he may be willing to sit and perch on your hand while nibbling a chew or eating out of your hand. It is absolutely adorable when they do that. As Jenn said, if you take your time with him it will pay off in the end. On the other hand if you rush him you may have to spend even more time bonding. It can be easy to lose their trust and can take a lot of time to gain it in the first place or gain it back after you lose it.

Definitely take the advice of just slowly letting the chin get to know you.. Imagine the chin is a very very shy small child.. Talk to the chin, sing to it, just sit by the cage and hang, read a book, watch tv, whatever.. Just gave o give them time to know you're a friend and not going to hurt them..

My oldest chin had a biting issue till very recently. I googled for hours trying to figure out a way to get her to stop, she was at the point of drawing blood and I had refused to handle her. My husband had the duties of playtime, etc.the trick to getting them to stop biting is to not react when they do. Don't yell, drop them, jerk your hand away, don't give ANY type of intense reaction. When you do that you either A. Spook them more causing them to bite harder or B. Show them that "ohhh if I do this then I get my way, they'll leave me alone!" chins aren't vicious creatures, they only bite as a means of manipulation. They say the easiest amd quickest way to stay calm when they bite is tobuy a leather glove and wear them whenever handling your chn (after there acclimated to their new house and you of course). That way they can bet all day and you wont feel anything. I personally would rather spend the money for gloves on treats fit them so I just made sure to stay disciplined and just not give her any reaction when shed bite. It took a couple weeks but I am proud to say My fingers ave been chinchila teeth free for a month and a half now! :0)

Back