Why you should pick your "pets" carefully...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11717191

This happened in my state the other day and I just listened to the horrifying 911 calls made by the owner on the news. She thought her friend was dead because her face was gone and her hands bitten off among other injuries.

The owner raised this chimp from a baby and treated it like a child. It proves that wild animals always stay wild animals.

It's so sad that people think they can tame these animals who are WILD and deserve to stay WILD. I feel for the chimp more than I do the owner. It's terrible that he attacked the woman, but it's even worse that they expected him not to turn one day.
There is a man here who is famous for exotics, mainly monkies. Lives five minutes up the road, literally. (He's the ***** I rescued the chins from...) And when his daughter was young, he allowed her to play with the baboons. One attacked, she has a scar at least 8" long on her back. They were in such filthy conditions the doctors had to open her up and clean her outter lungs...Now in NC, you have to have a license to own monkies.
That man doesn't need to have ANY animals in his posession, but everyone is too scared to call Animal Control on him, including my own father.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a man here who is famous for exotics, mainly monkies. Lives five minutes up the road, literally. (He's the prick I rescued the chins from...) And when his daughter was young, he allowed her to play with the baboons. One attacked, she has a scar at least 8" long on her back. They were in such filthy conditions the doctors had to open her up and clean her outter lungs...Now in NC, you have to have a license to own monkies.

That's insane. Baboons have been know to take on and kill Leopards in the wild. We are supposed to be the smarter species. Sometimes I wonder....

That's insane. Baboons have been know to take on and kill Leopards in the wild. We are supposed to be the smarter species. Sometimes I wonder....

Oh man, don't get me started on him. We call him 'Monkey Man'. He has goats who are obviously stricken with parasites, the baboons live in filthy conditions, furs sometimes matted with their own feces because he doesn't clean the cages, and when I got the trio from him, they were all three (two males, one female) living together in one tiny cage on the BACK PORCH with no cover from the rain, no shavings, no timothy hay, and guinea pig food. I was SO angry.

aww thats a sad story :tissue: i feel bad for eveyone, but mosty the chimp.

When will people learn that wild animals are not pets? The zoo I interned at had several of their carnivores because people thought they would make great pets. Their male lion was taken from a lady that had him and a tiger in a chicken wire pen. I mean come on people. Some people do it right and have adequate knowledge, but those are few and far between. Of course all these people breeding them and selling them to the public are also to blame. They make owning exotics seem fun and easy.

This is going to hurt exotic ownership big time I feel. I'm not worried about "omg leopards are so cute, lets get one!" people, but the people who take care of them as fosters for zoos etc, or are licensed and take them in when people who aren't supposed to have them do.

I've never liked monkeys or apes. I don't know why anyone in the world would want a chimpanzee because they are the only other animal besides humans to show unwarranted aggression. I understand that animals have their ways etc, but chimps aren't known to be the most docile species in the world.

Living in CT makes me here and see this story about 20 times a day...Brenda, Cheryl and Meg (and all our other CT friends that I missed) know what I'm talking about...it's on every local station, every local news station, every local paper, then it's in the bigger papers and on national news and E!.

She doesn't seem like the most responsible and knowledgeable person out there either. The chimp was taking (she keeps on changing the story though) medicine to treat lyme disease that is shown to create emotional changes/aggression in humans. Why you would let other people see an animal in that condition, no matter how long they knew them for, is beyond me.

Ugh people just can't get it through their thick heads that animals are ANIMALS. People need to take responsibility for their actions, not blame the animal. My boyfriend always says he wants a monkey, and I freak out every time he mentions it. I'll go through my long list of arguments against it and he just shrugs. I'll have to show him this article.

I feel so bad for the chimp, no matter what a wild animal is going to have wild animal instincts. No matter how neat it is to have an animal like this as a pet, maybe she should have done a little more research first, with an animal like that, anything can happen.
Poop chimp.

Because of her stupidity in deciding to own a chimp, this animal had to sadly die. When will people learn; leave wild animals in the wild. They do not belong as house pets or in circus rings etc.
My kids have never been to a circus because of the mistreatment of the animals. I've told my kids elephants are not supposed to stand on little tiny stands, lions are not supposed to jump through hoops on fire and bears do not wear tutos. And then they wonder why the animal acted out and they have to kill it.

I've never liked monkeys or apes. I don't know why anyone in the world would want a chimpanzee because they are the only other animal besides humans to show unwarranted aggression. I understand that animals have their ways etc, but chimps aren't known to be the most docile species in the world.

I think apes are magnificent creatures. I've seen several nature shows about them on tv and they are so close to humans it's a shame they will go extinct soon.

But no..I don't ever have the urge to own one LOL

aww thats a sad story :tissue: i feel bad for eveyone, but mosty the chimp.

I was a little upset for the chimp until I realized he bit both her hands off, tore her eyes, nose, and jaw off. Her life will never be the same, I can't imagine how hard this will be for her and her family.

He opened the officer's door with him inside. After what he did to that woman - I would have shot him just the same.

Last edited:
I was a little upset for the chimp until I realized he bit both her hands off, tore her eyes, nose, and jaw off. Her life will never be the same, I can't imagine how hard this will be for her and her family.

He opened the officer's door with him inside. After what he did to that woman - I would have shot him just the same.

The point is if people would realize these are wild animals not pets or children this wouldn't have happened. It is the owners fault, not the chimps.

I feel bad for the chimp simply because he should of never been put into that position. None of this was his making but a selfish need for a human to find a substitute companion. She slept in the same bed as him, she bathed with him, she fed him fillet mignon and lobster....she made him act like a human which he was not and never will be. Couldn't she have gotten a dog or two like the rest of us?

It is one thing to own a small exotic animal and another to have one that can kill you in a blink of an eye such as a chimp or tiger. In the wild chimps are naturally aggressive defending their territory. He was doing what came natural. I'm just surprised it took him so long.

I feel so sad for the woman terribly injured. She'll never be the same.

Not saying this wasn't the owner's fault. She had some "issues" herself - and it seems like she was trying to replace her husband.

The root of the blame is that she kept him - but she did take all the steps that allowed her to have him. Primates over 50lbs in CT are illegal, but he was grandfathered in. She wasn't required to have the license, but got one anyway. I do see it from her side (whether I agree or not) about not wanting to give him up. How many people still have wolf hybrids, bengal cats, fennec foxes, etc...

My post was about the lack of sympathy for him being shot. People are saying he was murdered, that he should have been tranquilized - I don't agree - that is just delaying the inevitable.

My dad told me about this today (he lives in Ct where I used to). I didn't even know that chimps were legal in CT. My dad's gf works at the zoo in Bridgport and was talking to a few handlers today and they didn't think it was either. I haven't taken the time to look it up, but for my fellow CTers, is it even legal???

It's sad for all of the parties involved. A woman was mixed up enough to take a wild animal into her life as a real companion, a poor woman lost her life as she knew it and may or may not die and a chimp who was just being a chimp dies for it...:yuck:

My post was about the lack of sympathy for him being shot. People are saying he was murdered, that he should have been tranquilized - I don't agree - that is just delaying the inevitable.

That police officer for sure did what he had to do. He sees a person lying on the ground with no face and lying in a blood bath. Then the animal that did this starts to climb into his car aggressively. You can bet your booty I would of shot him also.

Back