Why the hate?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EveningChin

Sorry I really need to rant!:hair:

So I was on facebook tonight and a friend of mine from High school who I would go to church with writes this:

"I'm sick and tired about people dancing around the obvious in this country. Islam is NOT a peaceful religion. Anyone who claims it to be is not only ignorant but dangerous. Christians are not blowing up muslims in the name of Jesus Christ. Call it profiling.....call it whatever you want but we are at war with a religion and this dance around the obvious BS needs to stop."

I was shocked. This was followed by his little brother writing a message (I will not post) of hate against homosexuality. I went to CCD with these guys, had my first communion with them. Where did they learn this hate? When did they learn to use their religion to hate others? I'm still in shock.

When 9/11 happened our Preist told our entire congregation to go and read the Corran. He told us that we needed to know that it was not their religion that told them to do it, that it was extremists. Were they not there that day?

I know religion is a touchy subject to almost every one. I don't like others to push their religious views at me so I will try not to push mine at you.

But seriously, why the hate? Where did Jesus say love thy neighbor unless they don't believe what you believe?

I have a number of friends of all religions and faith or lack there of, and of all sexualities. I just can't see some one getting to heaven and being turned away for showing kindness to another human being.

I think hate is all consuming, IMO.

I'm just so shocked! I'm really sorry if this offends anyone.

Actually your "friend" is wrong, entire wars have been fought and thousands of thousands of people died "in the name of Christ".

this hate bothers me too. It is NOT Christian too hate anyone. The bible says Jesus said 'the second command is to LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR (Eveyone) as you love yourself"

ignorance
ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hate

hate breeds extremism and we're back where we started!

We want to be very careful about discussing this particular topic on CnH. Religious and political topics turn way too heated and people end up at each others throats.

If you want to comment on hate (behavior, crimes, comments) that's one thing. But keep the scripture, etc., out of it or I'll have to delete the thread.

I think that media has a huge affect on how and what people believe as well.

The media loves to get people stirred up, whatever sells the news right? Soldiers die every day in Iraq, but you don't see that in the paper. They get the flag flown half mast for half the day at their base, and sent home in a box to a grieving family. The media shows people doing bad things, and rarely people doing good things. They be sure to say that terrorists came from "country X" but the don't ever show the good people that come from that same place. I've heard a lot of people bringing religion into the Ft. Hood ordeal, but that person served THIS country for twenty years. If he was a terrorist he wouldn't have sat around for twenty years, and in that time he could've come up with a much more terroristic plot having being where he was in the service. He was just a man who did not want to go back, he told them that, no one listened... It's tragic for all parties involved, but it's not based on religion.

It is easy in todays instantanious world to be constantly bombarded by negative thoughts. Much ranges from ignorance and nothing more. Our society has changed very much from the time I was a teen to the commings of the new 2020 generation. ( I am 48 and love the wisdom that age has provided )
Too many in this new and comming 2020 group have taken it upon themselves to express their thoughts without any rhyme nor reason of a particular topic without first taking the time to imform their small thoughtless unimpressing minds. Thus you are reading someone's self described version of how they see the Muslim world and religion through their own ignorant and shallow confines of a hollow skull. Or should I have added empty.
Take heart that many DO NOT follow along with the self centered "feel good" bloggers of todays society that would rather spew meaningless vomit rather then take the time to form a valued and educated opinion of any subject.
That is why I am not a follower of Face Book. Although I do think it has its place in todays modern world...........I cannot think it would offer me the peace and serenity of good company as I currently have found in a small group of trusted friends.
Take the opportunity to find those that share good conversation and you won't be so bruised by those who spew what ever is not productive to the mind. My generation finds people who think like you to be a valuable assest. Don't be discouraged. There are many more of us out here. And we really do have alot of fun!! :hilarious:

I'm going to have to disgree that it is a generation issue. I know many older people who act and believe the same way. Let it be towards politics, Muslims, blacks, or whatever.

I agree with Nicole. People in our age group (I'm 46) are every bit as biased towards other nationalities and religions as anyone else. We haven't attained some Zen Buddhist type calm about such things because we were raised in a different era. There are people in our age group who are every bit as vocal on the subject. They may not post about it on facebook, but they don't hesitate to add their comments to news blogs and other sites.

I just want to say, what does FaceBook have to do with any of this anyway? It is a social networking site. I have something like 1200 friends on FaceBook? I get their continous feeds all day long, from posting about visiting their mom's to what a crappy day at work they had. I have yet to see anyone having an extremist point of view regarding religion or politics and I've been on FaceBook for a while now.

I am a work at home, stay at home mom. I live in a town that is mostly elderly people. Most of my friends are on-line because that's where I have people who share common interests, most prominently my love of animals. I am very close to them, and can count on them when I need to talk or have a problem. You don't HAVE to be face to face to get satisfaction from good conversation and the sharing of ideas or a spirited debate. I am happy to embrace this new way of connecting with old friends and making new friends, especially being in an incredibly rural area like I am.

This is the world we live in now. A world of technology. You either move with it, or you get left behind.

Dear friends you must take your heated passions and place them aside for a moment. Clearly Sarah was upset to see that someone close to her took the time to post thoughts on Face Book that were upsetting to her.
My response * ( as for the 2020 generation ) was one based on factual data compiled in the new book written by Dr. Frank Luntz called "What Americans Really Want.........Really." It was never that my statment of the users of Face Book in this group can be viewed as (Quote) .......SMALL THOUGHTLESS UMIMPRESSING MINDS (end Quote)
I do not take is personally that I would perhaps have been directed by the following quote ( quote ) "either move with it, or you get left behind." ( end quote )
And I firmly believe that there are many wonderful souls ( as well as bad to be found among them ) in every forum of the new online social mediums, otherwise I may not sit in such a comfortable one as this.
I think this was a wonderful post Sarah. We must continue to seek out those who share our views of the brighter side of life where ever it may take us.

And I want to add that the entitled above book is wonderful. I promise that should you buy it or borrow it, you will have a very difficult time putting it down. And Dr. Frank Luntz is a regular commentator and advisor to Fox News television. If you should perhaps read the book I would welcome hearing from you in a private message some of your thoughts.

* as shown in the book that the "2020" generation is well documented to be classified as an " instant gratification" group. And clearly the offender to Sarah would rightly fall into this catagory.

I understand that Sarah was upset. In her shoes I would have been too, especially knowing that this kid was in her church group with her. But you made it sound as though "our" generation had cornered the market on compassion and clear thinking - and I say again, not even close. That was my point, regardless of any book you read.

I live in the middle of prejudiced country. I know what people in my age group are saying. If you heard some of the derogatory terms that they use for different races, or the name they give Dr. Martin Luther King Day, I think you might change your mind on what people really want or think.

I do think it's sad that an entire group of people are lumped into one great heaping pile, but with the glut of information shoved down your throat every day by the media it's pretty hard not to feel passionately about this issue, regardless of which side of the fence you are on.

New generations aren't any different than older generations who want "instant gratification" as well. I know many "older" generations that can't pay their bills or their 20 credit cards because they live well beyond their means. Credit cards are nothing but instant gratification. I haven't had one for about two years now, and I'm glad for it.

People today simply face no reprimand for their actions. Perhaps if people who were racist, rapist, murders, theives etc. had to wear a scarlet letter they would think more about their actions before they did them. Instead we live in a world full of hidden secrets, where you can live next to a criminal without knowing it. It reminds me of something I read in the paper, a man was charged with embezzling from the company he worked for, turns out, this wasn't the first time the last employer just handled it "internally". In other words, a criminal was walking free to do it to someone else because no one bothered to share that information.

Dear Peggy I too find it difficult to live in areas where people are too quick to judge others.

I currently live in Richmond Virginia where old wounds never seem to die. I did not grow up here. I actually grew up in Iowa. My parents were born in the deep south and each found themselves deposited in the same city as young children. And one day would indeed marry. How odd that both sets of grandparents lived but only some miles from each other in their original cities down south. And yes, I was subjected to hearing ugly racial tones from many members of my extended family over the years.
Thank goodness for me I was blessed to know my grandmothers neighbor Miss Harris who holds a dear place in my heart. Her mother was a decendant of a slave woman from Ethiopia. Miss Harris loved my mother very much and would later spoil us greatly. To this day I miss her greatly. And can still hear her lovely accent that survived from her African grandmothers humble birth.

Having direct ancestors from both sides that fought in the civil war I can understand the mentality of deep seeded southern views on the ugly race card. But am happy to say that I take history for what it is and see that good can come from those of us who have confederate blood in our veins. The Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy do wonderful works. I am guilty of not looking into becomming a member of the sisterhood. I'm sure it would be a wonderful experience. My husband and I are members of the Harley Davidson Hog chapter and include ourselves in many of the chapters benevolent functions.
And I so love going to my daughters school. My daughter is in the minortiy at her school and it has allowed me to be a possitive influence in the lives of many a young girl at her school. I love hearing, "Hi Miss Brain or Hi Miss Alex" in the halls or lunch room.

And we have been blessed with the wonderful addition of a new program at our elementary school called "MVP".
It is a male chaired group known as the Male Volunteer Program that is aimed at providing a positive male influence for our students. I couldn't be more pleased at this hard working group of fathers, neighbors, uncles, singles, and grandfathers who lend their time and tallents to volunteer their service to those children who need it most. This group was able to come together as a vision and within the second year was able to win our school a grant of continued support through the education system.

Sarah I hope you don't take offensive on high jacking your thread. I have rather enjoyed sharing positive text to the sad beginnings of your bruised thread. Take heart that there are really some great people out there of all ages. As well as those of us who have responded to your thread.

Back