Why does my chinchilla scream at night

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet18

I have a three year old chinchilla that like to make random braking noises at night and it sounds like she is scared or something. What do this mean

The most common reason is she hears, smells, or saw something that she wasn't sure of and is trying to let everyone know. It could be anything from an animal or something outside, something in the walls, the heat clicking on (that one can be smell and sound), etc.

If she was in the wild, that would be warning the herd. They continue to have those instincts, regardless of whether there is a herd to warn or not! Anything and nothing can set them off, as Amethyst mentioned above. I just learned to tune it out.

Thank you so much I figured she does get scared when it gets windy outside so she’s just trying to tell me

There is a rare sound that very few of us have heard. I am one of the lucky few. The sound is Blood curdling. I have 4 boys. Only 1 is a screamer.

I have a 9 yr. Old male screamer! I think it's more instinct for my boy. Sometimes he will scream every night, and then go a month or more and I never hear him. It is truly unnerving to hear sometimes. I started counting when he screams and it's almost always 7 in a row, lol.

Back