Why do we keep getting denied?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad she's doing well. I have to say, sadly, that I've only adopted one animal that DIDN'T have parasites or some kind of infection. I have learned that people who rescue from shelters must be prepared for additional expense. It does suck. She is beautiful, though! I hope she has a long happy life with you guys!

I don't mind paying the vet bills but like I said I just think that since she was examined prior to coming up that a bad ear infection should have been discovered and mentioned to me at the very least...she did get an Alabama Health Certificate, whatever that even means. At least she doesn't have any parasites :)

I don't think it means much just that she had a physical. I agree though, the ear infection should have been caught. Shiloh came with an AL health cert and she had a vet check (supposedly) and when I got her, she had kennel cough and heartworms (stupid expensive to fix and hard). Merlin had ear infections, kennel cough, and mange.

Kaylee had heartworms but was cleared of it, now I have her on preventative. She's doing really well...I do have more photos but I have to Photobucket them before putting them on here :p My husband is still discouraged regarding the cat, but I keep telling him to be patient. I can't believe she's almost been here for a week...she is asleep by my feet right now :) Such a little sweetie.

Locust Fork isn't that far from me as it turns out (about an hour and a half). My God, I had no idea there were shelters around here with such high kill rates. It's sickening. But the upside is that they do provide a kind of service in that they have available dogs for places like up north (and where you are) that don't. Thank you again for coming down here and saving her.

Kaylee is adorable! Love the multi-colored eyes. I truly believe shelter/rescued dogs know what fate has been averted and they're just grateful. :D

In regards to the kitty situation, we've recently adopted a cat, Harold. Biscuit has never lived with a cat, and spent the first month we had him chasing him off (as in, when Harold came around, barking and scaring him away) but never once attempting to harm him. Now, he comes to kiss her, and Biscuit has no problem with it. It just may take awhile for Kaylee. :gl:

Thanks!

Actually Kaylee doesn't mind Nova (the cat) but Nova HATES Kaylee. She has been living in the basement since Saturday (our basement basically was her domain anyway with all of her cat tree gear and toys LOL!) but I'd like her to be able to come upstairs again without being so fearful and so that my hubby will stop telling her she's been "evicted." I know he's a little salty that things didn't just fall into place immediately but these things DO take time. When I got a puppy as a kid we already had a cat and it was a several MONTH transition. All is quiet right now...Kaylee still sleeps a lot but I think she has had a very exhausting life up until now, so she needs the rest!

Here are a few new pics :)

Looking at me while I was making her dinner:
kl.jpg

Making herself comfortable in the guest bedroom:
kayleeb.jpg

Not the best photo, but she crosses her paws a lot and I think it's adorable!:
crossed.jpg

She stole my spot in bed! Oh well, I already know the animals rule in this house...LOL!:
kbed.jpg

she is adorable!!!! and i LOVE the different coloured eyes!

when i was a kid, we had a cocker spaniel that we would get shaved right down at the groomers on a regular basis, just to make things way easier around the house when it came to keeping him groomed (two working parents and two young kids - no time for grooming a spaniel with a show cut, lol). every single darn time that dog came home from the groomers, our cat thought it was a totally different dog and would hide in the basement for days! lol. then all of a sudden, kitty was fine with the dog again, almost like kitty said to himself 'oh, duh!'. the spaniel also once tried to chase the cat through the stairway banister one day, kitty slipped between the bars, but poor Sparky....... thunk! makes me wonder about the mental condition of the pets i had when i was younger...... :rofl:

your kitty will come around, just give them time.

LOL! I am sure they will get along, or at least learn to co-exist with time. When I was walking Kaylee earlier my neighbor said "wow, did you notice she has two different colored eyes?!" Um...no...reallyyyyy? Funny thing is I have seen so many bi-eyed dogs it doesn't seem weird to me, but then again I researched huskies and alaskan klee kais for about a year before we adopted Kaylee :p

She is so adorable. I love it when dogs cross their paws! How has she been with the potty training and going in the house?

It looks like you got yourself a little love bug. I love her coloring and her eyes are my favorite part. I'm glad you finally got approved, she seems like she's very loved.

She has had very few accidents. I thought it would be hard to housebreak her because she is NOT treat motivated at all...however, I have learned her potty schedule pretty well and I just encourage her a lot when she goes outside. Two days ago she had a number two in the house BUT it was totally our fault because we were at a concert and before we went we couldn't get her to go...then we were out for about six hours so I think she couldn't hold it. Other than that incident, she's being doing great. She is a wonderful dog so far...I cannot recommend adopting enough! BTW your little fluffball is SO adorable!

She sounds like such a good girl. Congrats! She is a pretty little lady.

Just read your thread! glad it worked out. I tried unsuccessfully to adopt from the french bulldog rescue network and never got any reasons why they denied us. My mom also had to work pretty hard at rescuing their current golden Ollie - but it finally worked out for her and they just love him. best behaved dog.

I am loving the fact that any accidents that happen, you look at the situation and figure out why she had the accident, and not immediately punish her for going in the house. kudos! :))

Thanks! I am glad we got denied the other dogs 'cause this little girl is my soulmate in a fur coat...LOL! I never punish for accidents anyway, I am all about positive training a la Victoria Stillwell and it does work. She is a smart cookie...I am sure that's the Aussie in her :)

I'm glad you do positive training! People look at me in shock when they complain their puppy or dog is peeing on the floor and I tell them to take a rolled up newspaper and slap themselves in the head because they didn't watch their pets close enough LOL

Yeah, she has gone without an accident since Wednesday which is pretty darn great!

Back