Why Chinchilla and Hedgehogs??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjamyst

Just curious, why is this forum community on chinchillas AND hedgehogs? I can kind of understand if it's chinchillas and ferrets. Are chinchillas and hedgehogs related somehow? Do people often own both? Do they have similar maintenance?

I don't know for sure but I think it's because there both sort of unusual pets. I feel that's why they fit together well in this. But don't quote me on that for being why there together here.

You know, I'm wondering why too! Tunes is the creator of this board, so I'm sure she will chime in and answer! Maybe she had both chins and hedgies :hmm:

If I remember correctly the original chins-n-quills owner Freddie had both, then the site was sold and went offline when the new owners flaked out, then some of the forum leaders/members started chins-n-hedgies to keep the forum going.

I know that this forum is a continuation of the old forum, CnQ, as Dawn said, but never did stop to think why the two animals were included in the forums. That is a good question.

ninja..... why would chinchillas and ferrets make sence? that seems more confusing to me, just curious

ninja..... why would chinchillas and ferrets make sence? that seems more confusing to me, just curious

i guess it's because people often look for ferret cages to use for their chinchillas....i dunno either...HAHA

I always thought that it was because they were both kind of rare as pets. I know that chins need it cool, but the hedgies need it warm...making chins the perfect pet for Middle Aged Babes like me who are hot ALL the time!!! ;)

The real answer is: long ago, there was a fellow who owned and loved 3 different types of animals and created 3 product lines for them. He created a board for those communities and products. After a few false starts, he settled on limiting the board to two of three.

You see... try as he might, he could just not get the chin and narwal nor the hedgie and narwal communities together. The chin and hedgie communities, though recognizing the subtle differences between the two animals (eg, very soft vs prickly coats), were able to get along. Thus the original Chins-n-Quills was born.

The narwal community went off on their own... you don't hear from them much. They make attempts and bridging gaps between themselves and the unicorn community every so often... But, really, they're a different sort of folk - which explains why you cannot find an active "www.narwal-n-unicorn.com" community these days.

Anyway, hope that helps put those lingering questions to rest!

I don't post here often but it would take some real old timers to answer this question. Years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth or at least back in the early 2000s there was a forum named Chins-n-Quills which was founded by a gentleman who used the user name "Freddie". Ownership of the board changed hands several times but the final owner let the site die.

Tunes and I were among the administrators on the old Chins-n-Quills. When that site died several of us decided to get together and form this site but the name Chins n Hedgies is a tip of the hat to the original site founded by Freddie.

I actually had the same question for quite some time :hmm:
Thank you for all the administrators and members here, all of you have been so helpful and I have learnt a lot from you guys :thumbsup: I got my questions answered, I found good vendors here, I found other chins lover here. Thank you thank you thank you~~~:hug2:

The narwal community went off on their own... you don't hear from them much. They make attempts and bridging gaps between themselves and the unicorn community every so often... But, really, they're a different sort of folk - which explains why you cannot find an active "www.narwal-n-unicorn.com" community these days.

Anyway, hope that helps put those lingering questions to rest!

Melissa, you make me laugh. :laughitup:

Ten year old post that I can confirm. I started Chins & Quills way back around 2000. I had chinchillas and hedgehogs so I selfishly tailored it to my interests. It’s seemed to work!
I’ve not had hedgehogs in over 15 years but I do still have the 25 year old chinchilla who inspired the original logo.

Ten year old post that I can confirm. I started Chins & Quills way back around 2000. I had chinchillas and hedgehogs so I selfishly tailored it to my interests. It’s seemed to work!
I’ve not had hedgehogs in over 15 years but I do still have the 25 year old chinchilla who inspired the original logo.
Thanks, Freddie, for clearing up this ten year old mystery?:)

Hey Freddie, how's your chinchilla? I hope he/she is still OK. Is he/she not the oldest living chinchilla?

Hey Freddie, how's your chinchilla? I hope he/she is still OK. Is he/she not the oldest living chinchilla?
I have a 22 year old male chinchilla He is the gray, The white one which is Mozart she’s about 11 years old I had her from a newbornThe white one which is Mozart she’s about 11 years old I had her from a newborn

Attachments

• 600579C6-987C-4711-AD1A-0D70FFA94536.jpeg
    600579C6-987C-4711-AD1A-0D70FFA94536.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back