Why certain people should not have Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No kidding... this is why they shouldn't be sold in pet stores. I came across a woman carrying hers through WalMart on peopleofwalmart....

My friends saw an 8 year old carrying her chin through a convenience store a few years ago. They said the chin looked petrified and confused. They felt horrible for him/her. We all agreed that her mom was lucky I wasn't anywhere near the building. I really don't think I could've played nice with that one.

Sadly, carrying chinchillas around outside their normal environment (even in loose in cars whilst the car is being driven) are shown on the internet.

Often I have no words..... :(

I didn't notice her hit him i just was astounded when I watched her grab him like she did. Never in my life have i witnessed someone be so rough to a chin.

I saw this video the other night as well as some others that really made me cringe. Some people have pets for their entertainment only and treat them like toys and have no compassion for their well being. Its really sad.
That chinchilla is simply being a chinchilla....yet the owner thinks he is being bad....idiots.

Poor chinchilla. Chinchillas are like toddlers. They need to be redirected when they go for things they shouldn't... not smacked in the face. I mean a chinchilla doesn't know what's good for it anymore than a baby does. And course it's going to eat a rice crispie treat if given the chance... it's full of sugar. They shouldn't have sugar.. but of course they like sugar. That's like leaving a plate of bacon where your dog can reach it. Can we confiscate chinchillas? Create like a chinchilla welfare agency... report line... *snuggles all the abused chinchillas*

I pretty much refuse to watch chinchilla video's on youtube anymore, unless its Handbag! The rest all make me too upset. HB videos are the best.

Taking it down won't stop the abuse, it just prevents others from seeing it. I hope she actually gets reported to the proper authorities...

Did you see the condition she let the chin run around in? The video starts with the chin running around human food in plastic wrap then onto the table where human food is left out. The way she hits the chin and grabs the chin. She obviously hasn't read up on how to properly handle and take care of chins.

This just makes me angry and so sad for the little guy.

The thing is that guy has so many people looking at his vids. Maybe he'll get the hint!

I couldn't believe he was running around with all that plastic. Poor little guy. I want to chinchilla-nap him.

There are many people leaving comments on that video which is good, they have another video where they are giving him bad treats. I know not all of us were experts at chinchillas, and I know that I am still learning as well, but it just seems with people like these that they do not even care about their pet.

Last edited:
I am sad to see people treat there animals this way...I saw a video before that got a lot of flack this kid was making her chinchilla dance grabbing squeezing chinchilla so hard Its very upsetting....you dont handle a animal that way they have feelings too!

I reported that video. It's disgusting that someone would handle a chin like that, especially HITTING one. Also, feeding him a sugary rice crispy treat chunk? Fail.

I am sad to see people treat there animals this way...I saw a video before that got a lot of flack this kid was making her chinchilla dance grabbing squeezing chinchilla so hard Its very upsetting....you dont handle a animal that way they have feelings too!

I saw a worse one where some dumb kid was poking the chin with a pencil and the chin was kecking at him/her and they wouldn't stop :(

I do not think it matters if they get them at pet stores or if they buy them right from the breeders. People will do crazy stupid things with little regard to the animals welfare no matter who they buy them from. You might think you can screen people and show them the right way of doing things but in the end the only ones that learn or listen are the ones you normally do not have to worry about in the first place. Others will say and do what you want until they are on their own and then do as they well please no matter what you have said or done.

Back