White spots on fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myminizooxo

This may be a really stupid question but my male chinchilla whose only couple months old leaves white spots on his fleece. Is it just him "being a boy" or is it something that needs attention or just somethinglike calcium deposits like a guinea pig leaves. I'm fairly certain he pees in his litter tray for the most part but these spots are like everywhere. I'm a new chinchilla owner btw

Hard to say without seeing it, but if it's sticky and thick it's likely him being a male and using the fleece as a "mate" (although rare males can physically mate as young as 8 weeks, which is why they need to be weaned at that age). If it's dry it could be excess calcium deposits like guinea pigs leave, they pee out excess calcium and as it dries it can leave a white spot. If it is pee though and it's white when it comes out then he has a problem and needs to see a vet, even though they pee out extra calcium there shouldn't be enough to cause the pee to look white when first peed out.

Hard to say without seeing it, but if it's sticky and thick it's likely him being a male and using the fleece as a "mate" (although rare males can physically mate as young as 8 weeks, which is why they need to be weaned at that age). If it's dry it could be excess calcium deposits like guinea pigs leave, they pee out excess calcium and as it dries it can leave a white spot. If it is pee though and it's white when it comes out then he has a problem and needs to see a vet, even though they pee out extra calcium there shouldn't be enough to cause the pee to look white when first peed out.
Thank you. It's not a lot. It's like a little dribble and there's only 3 spots where it's at. And it at first looks like a regular wet spot but when it dries it looks white. I haven't physically seen him pee anywhere. I'm just assuming he goes bathroom in his tray and none of the spots are close to the tray. But like I said I'm not 100% sure where he pees. I'll try to post a picture when he wakes up since the closest one is at his hidey where he sleeps

I'm in the process of changing his food over to oxbow as well. So idk if that has something to do with it lol

It looks like small spot of dried pee to me. If the spots like that don't look white to begin with it's unlikely anything to worry about.
Thank you so much. I don't think they do but I'm not 100% sure. I'll keep and eye out though

Back