White discharge coming from Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilkytheChin

Hi, I am a new owner of a stunning 6 month old chinchilla and today, I noticed that she urinated a lot more than usual and that her entire lower half was wet most likely due to her urine Therefore, I attempted to dry her but she kept biting/grooming her lower abdomen, and when she stood up I saw that there was white discharge coming from her vaginal area. At this time, I had to go to class as I am a student and I would occasionally check on her. During those times, I noticed that she would keep biting/ grooming the area with the white discharge and after a few hours It has dried and her fur has stuck together, So I am very worried and I don’t know what to do.... Please help me! I also researched online and I found out that she might be in heat but I am not sure, I also read about Pyometra but she seems to be eating normally as usual and does not seem to be fatigued. What should I do? Thank you! This is her a few days ago 9314AC49-DE7E-49F5-BF9C-EBC571BFA77D.jpeg so I am not sure if she is fine or not.... Please assist me. I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I would get her to the vet as soon as possible, like tonight if possible. It's very likely she has pyometra, it could be an open pyometra meaning it's oozing out, chins are very good at hiding illness until they physically can't so I would not wait until she is acting sick. They can sometimes have a small amount of wetness when in heat, and a heat plug which is a solid waxy plug (it's small and they sometimes eat it or it gets lost in the bedding), not white discharge.

I would get her to the vet as soon as possible, like tonight if possible. It's very likely she has pyometra, it could be an open pyometra meaning it's oozing out, chins are very good at hiding illness until they physically can't so I would not wait until she is acting sick. They can sometimes have a small amount of wetness when in heat, and a heat plug which is a solid waxy plug (it's small and they sometimes eat it or it gets lost in the bedding), not white discharge.
Thank you for notifying me! I really want to go to the vet tonight however, I cannot drive and my parents are asleep right now as it is 12:44 AM. What should I do? Should I wake my parents up?

I would first see if you can find an emergency vet that will see your chin, that way you aren't waking your parents for nothing. Depending on where you live annoyingly you may have to wait until morning, not all places even have exotic vets on hand in the middle of the night.

I would first see if you can find an emergency vet that will see your chin, that way you aren't waking your parents for nothing. Depending on where you live annoyingly you may have to wait until morning, not all places even have exotic vets on hand in the middle of the night.
Thank you so much for the advice!! I will do as much as possible to make sure she gets treatment right away! ❤️ Sorry for inconveniencing you in the middle of night. Thank you Amethyst!!

Hey, just noticed that it's your 2nd anniversary today on the forum. Congrats!
I've noticed also two beautiful chins on your avatar. Did you have them together ever since?

Back