White chins...what do yours look like?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyxxin

RAF Chins
I know the color variation on whites is said to be like a fingerprint, in that it is unpredictable. But I'm constantly wondering, why are all of my whites gray? Now I do not mean off-color. When they are classed they are always classed "white with dark guard hairs" At first I thought it was because of the lines I was using, that perhaps the dark color variation was a bit genetic, specific to those lines. But this past year I've had more whites born to unrelated lines and they're just as dark as any others I've had born. Just to explain a bit better what I'm talking about...my white kits are generally mostly gray with white tipped tails. When they are grown they have a silvery look. My whites are rarely, if ever, WHITE WHITE. I was just wondering what other white breeders are experiencing in this area of breeding. Do you generally have dark whites, light whites, swirled or patterned animals...and what are you pairing. Be as specific as possible in regards to lines you use and colors you mate them to. This is mostly for fun, and for something for me to ponder on.

To further illustrate what I'm talking about I'm attaching the following pics:

pic 1- one of my "white" kits at a month of age
pic 2- another "white" at a few months of age
pic 3- a "white" at roughly 3mos
pic 4- at roughly 6mos
pic 5- roughly 7mos

Attachments

• mosM2.jpg
    mosM2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 41
  • V20.jpg
    V20.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Mos.jpg
    Mos.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Fluffy2.JPG
    Fluffy2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Adolf2.JPG
    Adolf2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 43
pic 6- another "white" at close to 7mos

AND pic 7- a mostly WHITE animal...NOT of my breeding

Take into consideration that pics 1-6 are all different animals, many from different pairings and several from different lines but ALL from my breedings.

ETA- these are just the few that I have pictures of. I have at least two in my basement right now like this...as well as countless others that were sold that I do not have pictures of.

Attachments

• 100_0176.jpg
    100_0176.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 32
  • Jagsmos.jpg
    Jagsmos.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Most feel that the color phase in whites is directly linked to the color phase of it's standard ancestor, and from my limited dealing with whites I would agree. As more evidence, take a look at whites from the UK, you'll see lots of predominantly white animals, then look at the standards, much lighter then what we have here, and I've personally never seen anything I think is darker then a dark medium.

That's the only conclusion that I could draw as well Jeff. While most "experienced" breeders that I have asked have said breed whites to lighter phase standards, I do not have many lighter phase standards in my herd. I think the lightest male I have in breeding right now is a dark medium. I do find though, that MY whites are generally pretty clear and have a much tighter look to their fur than many lighter whites I have seen.

I tend to see more whites with color in my breedings...and almost all my standards are dark-mediums - extra darks...

i only have one white male ..hes running one 3 std.s of course.. pretty much all (but 1) have looked just like him... other than size (which my male is a little small) you probably couldnt tell them apart... his babies have all been pretty GOOD sized. has only been the one that is darker, and he is probably med. darkish grey with a white swirl on his butt.

here's a white kit i weaned not too long ago:

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 49
Whites are interesting.

Line 1; Threw spots. Didn't matter what you bred it with, they came out all varieties.. pure white, spots, swirls, lines, oreo looking. You could get the strangest things from the same litters.

Line 2; Completely unrelated 'silver' line, also Tov. This animal threw clones of itself, they ranged from a medium silver to a light silver. Almost all had the same or very similar markings. Bred him to all phases of standards and a few ebonies.

Been taking Ronda's white violet line out to a variety of standards. He has 12 ladies. The kits are also a huge variety of different shades and markings.

One of the brightest white females I owned was out of the darkest standard I've seen.

I believe that there are different varieties of white.

Here's a picture of our Elvis. His brother had markings but much lighter. It will be curious to see if any of it passes off to his offspring once he's put in breeding.

DSC02586.jpg

Here are some of mine

Lexie
DSC00133_edited.jpg

Badger at about 10 weeks, this is the last pic before I sold him
Badger.jpg

as a kit

Spike
DSC00119_edited.jpg

Willow their mother
DSC00029.jpg

Hetty (I didn't breed this one so don't have any kit pics)
DSC00109_edited.jpg

Thanks for all the input (and pics) keep it coming! Megan, glad to see that my "whites" aren't the only darkies out there. I honestly like the darker ones...but would occasionally like to get a different looking one in the mix. Maybe I'll have to throw one of my whites in with a lighter phase standard...or...hey, does anyone have pics from white x sapphire pairings? I do hear that sapphires can clear whites up...though won't mention my sources LOL!

Though I love my standards and my beige babies, I love whites!!!

They're my favorite...the next chin (when ever I get them) will have to be mosaic:heart3:

this is a white one I have.. I dont know if she is a "dark guard hair" white, but I love her.. I plan on breeding her.. she is alreay almost 700 g at 6 months driving me craZy as she prefers to sleep on her side and she has never been and is not pregnant! With her ears down, she looks like a rabbit haha.

Attachments

• princess.jpg
    princess.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 36
  • princess2.jpg
    princess2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 37
cute chins were any of u familiar wit Chins-n-Quills?????

These two girls are sisters.Although the one on top looked like a standard with a white stripe around her belly and at the base of her tail when she was young.(by the way, plastic shelves are not in any of my cages anymore.Squeak was my first chin and that's first pic ever taken of her)

0125090048.jpg

SqueakaBeeka005.jpg

Last edited:
I'm excited this guy will be arriving Monday. Thank you Ronda!!

He's a mosaic v/c, about five months in the first picture. Second was two weeks ago (8 mo), can't wait to see him when he gets here. Sire is the third picture. Dam was a light-medium female from Bruce Kenworthy.

This white violet male is in with many ladies and throws the whole range of white varieties, sometimes with the same females. Will be an interesting line to work with.

Edited to say that about half the time Ronda and I show these, they get classified as light standards, regardless of what is on the tail.

Attachments

• Wvc.jpg
    Wvc.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 25
  • Whitevc.jpg
    Whitevc.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 9_15_05WV2.jpg
    9_15_05WV2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Gorgeous chinchillas~

Tara I love the white violet and I am not even a violet fan!!

This is my Bamm Bamm. His color varies, but most of the time he is white with a black band at the base of his tail. Even the band changes color over time (black to gray and back again.)

Attachments

• new3 177.jpg
    new3 177.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 9
Back