whisker trimming

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfstache

Beware the 2 headed chin
Well I started off with a search figuring the answer was on here somewhere already but couldn't find it. For those of you who trim whiskers prior to pairing and use vanilla on the noses I have a couple questions. How short do you trim their whiskers? And how much vanilla do you use? And how exactly do you apply it? Oh and maybe before I attempt it, has anyone ever had a really negative experience with trying the car trip method? One of my males is being extremely difficult to pair and I've given up on cage within a cage with him.

I trim whiskers any time I have a chin who is being aggressive or cranky. I trim them to about a 1/2 inch long. I've never used vanilla, so I cant help you there. Ive used the car ride method several times and there are a few things I have learned. First, try to use the smallest carrier you can. I find if it is to big then they dont "snuggle" enough. Second, when they get done with the car ride, it helps if they come home to a neutral cage that has just been cleaned, and have a dust bath ready to go. Third, make sure you dont do the car ride method alone. Two people are required, one to drive and one to watch the chins. In case a fight does happen.

When I applied vanilla to the noses of my chins I put some on my finger and rubbed it across the front of their nose's and it seemed to work just fine.

I trim the whiskers as short as I can get them. It really does change their disposition in a hurry, so make sure to use the trimming wisely. Most of the time I use it with chins that just won't get along.

For a car ride, use a very small carrier. The smaller the space, the less likely they are to actually be able to fight. I trim whiskers, put them in a carrier and take them on errands with me. Taking chins in the car is a very good method of getting the chins to bond.

Just bear in mind that some chins just do not get along with others. You have to be careful even after you introduce chins and they seem to get along. I always recommend watching for at least two days for any real signs of aggression after an introduction. Males can be more tricky than females sometimes, as well.

Back