Which Thermometer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I think when I finally finish remodeling the chins room, whenever that may be, I'd like to get them a new thermometer.
Right now they have one that is suppose to be indoor/outdoor, except the outdoor part got damaged by rain or lightening or something. It no longer works. The indoor part works okay but it's odd. The temp changed if you sit it one way vs the another, if you touch the batteries (battery cover is missing because my little brother got ahold of it while the batteries were charging), etc. So I don't trust it a whole lot. I've being going by the temp display on the AC. It has a temp its set at and then the room temp.
However, this AC has been giving me trouble with leaking (the reason for the room remodel), so I'm thinking I'll just get them a new big AC this Spring. (they have a larger ac and a smaller ac)
I haven't decided if I want one that is battery operated or electric.
Anyways...long story short....

What Thermometer do you use? Batteries or Electric?

Links are greatly appreciated.

I have three of these throughout the house:
Acurite Indoor Humidity Monitor

I have a bunch of these as well. They are rly good. They have a magnet on the back to it sticks right to my FN cages. It gives current temp along with daily high and low, same with humidity too.

I got one for each of my cages, and 2 bedrooms. Ive had them for a few years and i haven't had to replace the battery yet.

The only downside with them; you can see on the second picture on amazon how it is just sitting on the table. It has a little metal piece that bends out to balance it up so you can sit it on anything if you wish. But its fragile. If you drop it, you will probably break that metal piece. But the devices itself and the magnet still should work. (All mine do)

I've got something from Walmart that was about $10. A battery powered indoor/outdoor humidity monitor that can also "remember" the most extreme high and low. My sister uses the same thing for her snakes and I dont think either of us has had one die yet. It's accurate, but if you hold it it picks up body heat. I use the "outdoor" part to give me another part of the room (one higher and one lower and on opposite walls) so I can get a general reading of the room.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to order an Acurite or two. :)

I've got something from Walmart that was about $10. A battery powered indoor/outdoor humidity monitor that can also "remember" the most extreme high and low. My sister uses the same thing for her snakes and I dont think either of us has had one die yet. It's accurate, but if you hold it it picks up body heat. I use the "outdoor" part to give me another part of the room (one higher and one lower and on opposite walls) so I can get a general reading of the room.

I never thought of using the outdoor piece like that. Good thinking.
Not sure why the one I had was made for outdoors if it wasn't waterproof. Lol. I believe I got mine at walmart as well when I got my first two chins.

We just have a basic one, but now that I think about it one of the better ones would be a good idea. Ours is placed at the level of the highest cage.

But we also have something that makes us able to check the chin room temperature online or on our "smartphone" when we're not home. It's a handy thing if we go on a trip and have a house sitter.

We just have a basic one, but now that I think about it one of the better ones would be a good idea. Ours is placed at the level of the highest cage.

But we also have something that makes us able to check the chin room temperature online or on our "smartphone" when we're not home. It's a handy thing if we go on a trip and have a house sitter.

how do u do that?

how do u do that?

We have the same thing that Airyn does.

Neat Gadget

Oh, I forgot... We also have a backup type thing to know the temperature. We have a sensor for our self-installed home security system, that also allows us to know the temperature. There's also an "alarm" on the chin room door, if we have a house sitter or have to run to the store we can set the sensor to send a text to our phone letting us know someone went in there (it does not trigger the house alarm itself though). We also have one of those where we keep our pet medications, personal medications, and on the inside of our lock box.

I got one of the Acurite ones from Wal-Mart and it does have a switch to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

We have the same thing that Airyn does.

Neat Gadget

Oh, I forgot... We also have a backup type thing to know the temperature. We have a sensor for our self-installed home security system, that also allows us to know the temperature. There's also an "alarm" on the chin room door, if we have a house sitter or have to run to the store we can set the sensor to send a text to our phone letting us know someone went in there (it does not trigger the house alarm itself though). We also have one of those where we keep our pet medications, personal medications, and on the inside of our lock box.

That is pretty neat. Does the sitter or whomever hear an alarm or no?

Back