which brand is best?

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

Ok so usually I order my pellets and have them shipped but I have never been fond of doing that. I'm always concerned with freshness and everything so I want to look for a brand I can buy locally.

I know there's no "best" brand for all chinchillas but just generally what is a better option.

The local feed store can get PANR but only in 50 lb bags and with having 4 chins that's a lot of feed. I thought about maybe trying to sell half the bag to other chin owners so I'm getting fresh feed monthly.

Also another store sells Oxbow in 5 lb packages.

Which one would be my best bet at trying first? I am hesitant to try the rabbit food as I was always told not to feed any rabbit food UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I just see so many people here feed it so it has sort of eased my mind at attempting to feed it to my chins.

Lots of people feed rabbit food. PANR, Nutrena, etc. But, if you can get Oxbow locally in 5 pound packages, you could just go with that. A 5 pound bag will last a little while for 4 chins. I just can't justify the expense of buying it that way.

If you are really interested in PANR, why not go ahead and buy the 50 pounds, take what you think you will need, then donate the rest to a rescue. Most likely the 50 pound bag will be less than the 5 pound bag of the Oxbow costwise anyway.

I agree- if the bigger bag of PANR is cheaper, take what you need and donate it to a rescue. It's also a rabbit feed and can be used for chinchillas, so it can swing both ways!

I feed oxbow and I'm really happy with it. My local feed store special orders the bigger bags for me.

You can get Oxbow for $59.99 for a 50lb bag online. You can also get PANR for $15 for a 50lb bag. Both + shipping of course. But the PANR + shipping is still cheaper at about $33 total for me.

I never realized the price difference.

I LOVE my PANR. And you can almost always find it close by, so you don't need to pay shipping.

I've never seen it around here so I'll have to do some hunting. I can get Oxbow easily though.. go figure

Ok well I did call the feed store by me and actually they sell 10 lb bags of PANR for $5, which the 5 lb bag of oxbow was $5. Also the feed store is like 5 streets away where the store which carries oxbow is the next town over. So I think, for convience sake, I'm gonna try the PANR and see how my crew does on that. If they don't do good we'll try oxbow.

Ofcourse I thought about going out and grabbing the PANR today but we have a giant snowstorm and are expecting 15 inches of snow so I'm sort of stuck inside today maybe tomorrow we'll see if we can get ourselves out and get to the feed store to get it so I can start switching.

They want at least $12 for a 5lb bag of Oxbow here!

in my case we dont have either of those in my petstores so i do get mine shipped to me and the chins do just fine with it so im pretty positive its as fresh as it can be after being shipped lol

I used to feed Tradition, but then it just got too difficult to get shipped to me for a decent price, so I switched over to PANR, which I can get locally for much cheaper, and much more. The boys have taken well to PANR & eat like piggies.

As far as getting it shipped to you, you can always ask the seller what the mill date is on the feed bags. That way you can check to see if you feel comfortable using it for your chins.

Well hopefully the PANR will work out. I told my husband about it and when I told him the price he was sold. He's pretty easy.

I want to switch from Kline to PANR but cannot seem to find it local here in Orlando. :(

No feed stores carry it? Every feed store in Jacksonville sells it. They put in the order on Friday and it comes in on Wednesday.

We are fairly close. If you need me to, I could order you a 50 lb. bag. I would be willing to drive it to Sugarmama (she is about 35 miles south of me) so she would be about 1 hr. 45 min. from you. Just an option.

Go to the purina website and lookup were there is s upplier for the PANR they maybe closer than you think.

Sunshinechins,

FARM & PET OUTLET
ALI RABAH
19004 E COLONIAL DR
ORLANDO, FL 32820
Phone No: 407-368-8485

If they don't carry it on hand, they will always be able to order it for you directly from the mill. It takes about a week to be delivered to the store for pickup.

An even better option might be Manna Pro Sho, due to the fact there are at least 4 dealers in the Orlando area. I would even switch to manna pro myself if there wasn't a nearby Purina dealer near us, as well as the nearest Manna Pro dealer being about an hour away.
http://www.mannapro.com/dealer_locater.cfm

Last edited:
Back