Where to buy PVC pipe for fleece tubes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam.Bam

Ok so I've made about 5 fleece tube covers over a month ago but have yet to get the pvc tube to put the covers on.

I went to Lowes to get some 6" diameter pipe and they had it.. but they only had them 10 feet long. I don't need THAT many tubes and it definitely won't fit in my car to get it home, let alone trying to get that cut into 10" peices. Does anyone know where I can get 6" pvc tube in smaller pieces. I didn't think Lowes would even cut it in half for me let alone into the size I need. No one was around to even ask though.

HELP!! Thanks :)

Most places will cut it to size for you. I know Lowes out here and Home Depot do.

You can check with a local hardware store. They usually can help you out as well.

At my Lowes under the racks of 10ft PVC, they had smaller 2ft pieces. I would ask someone to help you. It is what they are supposed to get paid to do. :dance3:

Sadly, I hadn't found one company to cut them for me either, so I have to borrow a truck every time I go get tubes. I've had good luck finding them at Lowes, but their prices on them keep going up. They used to be $21 when I started buying a 10' piece and they were $33 the other day when I got one.

maybe try a plumbing supply store near you. they have shorter lengths OR may be willing to cut a longer one for you.

The Home Depot I used in PA will cut to size as long as you're buying the whole run, but the Lowe's was hard to get help in. (Unfortunately it's also the kind of place where if a female walks in the door, I hope she's prepared to be talked over and told that "now that's not what you need" by a retired contractor that's never heard of a chinchilla cage in the first place. I tended not to shop there.) If you can't get them to cut it, a friend with a band saw or cross-cut saw and a metal/wood blade should be able to take care of it for you.

Thanks for the imput everyone!

I will try lowes again and see if they can atleast cut it in half. my dad has a band saw.. I just need to get it to him, lol.

The price lowes had for the 10 foot piece was $28 and some change. I was trying to search by plumbing places nearby but couldn't find much of a place I can just walk in and pick something up. I'm going to try a hardware store down by my dad's house tonight hopefully to see if they have a 6" peice smaller. I searched on Home Depots website and the store by me doesn't have 6" pieces i'm looking for.. argh making my life so difficult just to make my chin kids a simple fleece tube! lol.

I take my saw with me to home depot, if they are busy and can't cut what I need and I cut it myself in the parking lot. They have plug ins right outside the big door you just pull your car up, use your saw to cut and then your on your way.

I got a metal cookie can that i can't take the bottom off.... it would be a steady tube to be covered for Cip...

guess I'll head off to a pipe store and buy some PVC tubing... and some fleece too
:)
I'm not into cutting my bed cover yet
:)
(which is fleece)

I was looking through the pictures in the photo gallery and noticed some cages with PVC piping on the outside of the cage as a ramp/tunnel. I really would love to do this because I'm planning a cage total makeover and that is such a great way to maximize space!! My question is...what could be used inside the pipe for traction? I thought about the black soft plastic piping that has the ridges in it, but that would be too hard to clean, I imagine. I'm thinking I would drill a few holes in the top and sides of the PVC to secure it to the grids, and insert something that can just be slid out to clean. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Hi there. Most local shops will cut it to size for you. You can also check with a local hardware store. They usually can help you out as well, but you had to ask about that before. Guys, i also have a question. Do you know where to buy hot tub stairs in Canada? Please recommend me a good local or online store where I can choose hot tub stairs. Thank you.

Back