Where to buy Kiln-Dried Pine in the West Covina, California area

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippery

Lately I've been wanting to build my chinchillas a new house to go inside their cage. I was searching around the internet and found that they can be quite expensive to buy built already. My chinchillas are around 6 years old and I wanted to show them that i still love them all these years by creating a new and improved cage design for them. The problem with all of this is that I have no idea where to buy the wood and if it is safe enough for them. I don't believe I've ever given them anything but kiln-dried pine and was wondering if introducing a new wood to them after all these years would be safe. I am trying to buy this wood in bulk and also want to know any good tips to keep in mind when building the ledges and what not.

Thank you for reading :)

I don't know what store you have near you, but any home building center sells kiln dried pine, if the people there are too stupid (seems common) just look for the pine with a HD or KD letters stamped on it. Another common wood people use that most places sell is poplar. A variety of wood is actually good, it helps the chin from getting bored of just chewing on one kind all the time, there is a whole list of chin safe woods to choose from especially for toys and chew stick.

Apple
Arbutus
Ash
Aspen
Bamboo
Black Berry
Cholla
Cottonwood
Crabapple
Dogwood
Elm
Grapvine