Wheel Removal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, as some of you may have seen, one of my chins got a small scratch on the top of his back foot. It's doing okay, I think it's starting to scab over now. But today I saw some small blood streaks on the back of the wheel and on the wheel, mostly if not fully dried. I think it's from yesterday and maybe I just didn't see it because it was so small? I'm thinking when he runs on the wheel the wound has a chance of reopening. But, I'm not sure how his more active brother would feel about the wheel getting taken away temporarily. Should I take the wheel out to ensure he has a good recovery with hopefully not a second wound reopening? If so, how long should I wait before putting it back in?

So, as some of you may have seen, one of my chins got a small scratch on the top of his back foot. It's doing okay, I think it's starting to scab over now. But today I saw some small blood streaks on the back of the wheel and on the wheel, mostly if not fully dried. I think it's from yesterday and maybe I just didn't see it because it was so small? I'm thinking when he runs on the wheel the wound has a chance of reopening. But, I'm not sure how his more active brother would feel about the wheel getting taken away temporarily. Should I take the wheel out to ensure he has a good recovery with hopefully not a second wound reopening? If so, how long should I wait before putting it back in?
I would take out the wheel and give his brother extra playtime outside the cage. You can also give him more toys to stimulate him. I would wait to put it back in until the scratch is completely healed.

Back