What's the mutation of this chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Paes

4 months:
20200104_154022.jpg
Old pictures:
20200107_133130.jpg
20200107_133106.jpg
Dad:
IMG-20200104-WA0004.jpg
The mother is standard (no beige, no ebony, no white, no tov and no recessives)
Please tell me what is the mutation
I think he is a TOV mosaic

Mosaic. What is the father?

The fur is very yellow. Is he/she getting dust baths?

Mutation depends on genetics. Is there eb in the line? If there isn't then it's a plain mosaic. Is there TOV in the line? If there isn't, mosaic. Is there violet, sapphire, etc. in the line? If not, then it's mosaic.

Any chin cross with white can be a mosaic, but people like to label them eb/white, white/violet, white/sapphire, etc. If all there is in the line is standard and white, then he's a "basic" mosaic. Make sense?

Dad doesn't look like a basic mosaic, so I have the doubt.
I may be new to the forum, but I'm not new to this subject. I just want someone to give me the color of this chinchilla.
my biggest distrust is ebony and tov. Are you sure there is none of this in the parent / kit?
Please help me

I can't answer that question without seeing the pedigree of the parents or knowing the breeding animals personally. Nobody can answer that question by guessing. Some mosaics look like they might be eb/whites because their gray is so dark. Conversely, an "eb/white" might look like a plain mosaic because the eb is light. The bottom picture looks like a plain mosaic, a cross between a white and a standard gray. Without knowing the lines that he comes from, there is no other answer that can be given. If you're buying offspring, you have every right to ask the breeder for his lines. Ask if there is eb or TOV in the lines and then you'll know if the dad has any chance of being one or the other. It is arguable if TOV is even carried. Most people believe it's not even though there are times it will (very) randomly show up. I am unsure why you suspect that bottom chin is TOV?

I can't answer that question without seeing the pedigree of the parents or knowing the breeding animals personally. Nobody can answer that question by guessing. Some mosaics look like they might be eb/whites because their gray is so dark. Conversely, an "eb/white" might look like a plain mosaic because the eb is light. The bottom picture looks like a plain mosaic, a cross between a white and a standard gray. Without knowing the lines that he comes from, there is no other answer that can be given. If you're buying offspring, you have every right to ask the breeder for his lines. Ask if there is eb or TOV in the lines and then you'll know if the dad has any chance of being one or the other. It is arguable if TOV is even carried. Most people believe it's not even though there are times it will (very) randomly show up. I am unsure why you suspect that bottom chin is TOV?
I suspect the father is tov because this is not always visible. In the second old photo of the kit he appears to have the longest-normal fur on his head, although it currently does not appear as much. The kit also has dark paw marks and a face mask, which are also classic features of a tov. As it is really hard to guarantee, I am looking for someone who can make me sure.

Hello! my chinchilla finally arrived. Seeing in person, I found it to be a white tov (no ebony). My curiosity was satisfied. thank you to those who helped me!

Back