What's new?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thank you for your help I really appreciate it
Another question for you in terms of hay. I have read that Timothy is the best but also read that they should be given a variety of hay.
Is oxbow orchard grass, botanical and oat hay good? Seeing a lot of different hays on Amazon but unsure about them
Oh know orchard grass is ok for sure. On the back of the packages they tell you the texture and flavor of each hay. Ideally you don't wants something too soft and sweet. Sweetness because of the sugar count and softness because the hay is supposed to trim down their back teeth. Here is a link to a Timothy and orchard grass blend that I would recommend. Orchard grass is just slightly sweeter and softer but variety can be good as long as it's not to sweet. Since it's just slightly sweeter it's fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Hay-Blends-T...ywords=oxbow+hay+blends&qid=1579551305&sr=8-3

Also of course I will send pictures of them. I'm so excited I cannot wait to get them
Another thing you should think about is too much variety. If you switch from hay to hay to hay it can confused their digestive system and the sudden changes and cause upset stomach. Like if you were to change food you would do it very gradually so they don't get sick and have their digestive system confused

Oh know orchard grass is ok for sure. On the back of the packages they tell you the texture and flavor of each hay. Ideally you don't wants something too soft and sweet. Sweetness because of the sugar count and softness because the hay is supposed to trim down their back teeth. Here is a link to a Timothy and orchard grass blend that I would recommend. Orchard grass is just slightly sweeter and softer but variety can be good as long as it's not to sweet. Since it's just slightly sweeter it's fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Hay-Blends-T...ywords=oxbow+hay+blends&qid=1579551305&sr=8-3
That's great I will order that too.
Another thing you should think about is too much variety. If you switch from hay to hay to hay it can confused their digestive system and the sudden changes and cause upset stomach. Like if you were to change food you would do it very gradually so they don't get sick and have their digestive system confused
I just don't want to make any mistakes with their diet. I want to have everything perfect so they don't get dental issues like my last chin frizzles did but I also don't want to be upsetting their tummies either

That's great I will order that too.

I just don't want to make any mistakes with their diet. I want to have everything perfect so they don't get dental issues like my last chin frizzles did but I also don't want to be upsetting their tummies either
Yeah diet is very confusing and can also be controversial. I would recommend feeding them that blend. It's variety and gives different textures and tastes they can enjoy but since it's blended its not a sudden change. If you do that blend I wouldn't mix up the hay after that. Personally I would feed that hay and since it's already blended with 2 chin favorites they should love. Their teeth will get trimmed down due to the chrunchiness of both and it will compliment each other. So like I said I would feed the blend I sent you and just that blend. Don't mix any other hay in with that.

Feel free to ask me about diet, exercise, stimulation, and toys anytime. I love doing the research and helping people help their animals

I used to check in from time to time but moved to Texas in Dec 2018, with the entire herd in tow. Been here 2 years already! Also been a crazy chin person for 21 years this year. Lost a couple of breeders this last year which was rough, Ronda Frazier (Ronda/RSF chins) and Gary Neaubaer (Bowen Chinchillas). A lot has changed in the last few decades, I'm surprised at how few breeders there are left.

Hi! I adopted my chinchilla on June 1st and named her Ori after a video game I like (Ori and The Blind Forest). I've been having issues with the cage she is currently in, so I ordered the Quality Cage Crafters' Mansion bundle tonight. I really can't wait to get it and I think she will be much happier in it than the current one. It comes with a Chin Spin wheel, which I've heard are really good. I've tried three different wheels already and she hasn't used any of them. I don't know if she didn't like them or if she doesn't understand how they work, or if she just doesn't feel like running in a wheel, but maybe she'll like this one. I hope so anyway! Here is a picture of me and Ori, and a picture of Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest...
ori3.jpgoriatbf.jpg

Ori is adorable! Just give her time and I bet she'll love her wheel. Although some chins prefer to sleep in them rather than run in them lol!

With the new software and lots of old members coming back, thought it might be fun to see what everyone has been up to.

Travels? New pets? What's new?

My chin is now fourteen! I've been a member since I got her but haven't posted much and haven't been around recently. Her name is Cheerio. She's been eating soley Critical Care for about 7 years now. She has no impactions but I do need to take her for a tooth trim about once a year. (She goes every 6 months for a checkup but the vet every only needs to trim about once a year.) She's down to three teeth now in the back. (Don't worry, she's not in pain and rather than her roots growing into her bone, they shrunk, hence her only having three teeth now.)

I am looking online for some Lava Bites. They are her favorite and she's been chewing on them like crazy! She still had all of her front teeth and loves to chew. :)

Chins & Hedgies sending annual birthday emails was always so touching 🥰 My chins have been very happy/healthy for the last decade- Wow. Now that they're older I'm starting to have more questions about making sure they stay happy!

Back