What type of antifungal powder should I use ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerouz

I suspect my chin of having fungus.

What type of antifungal powder should I use ?
And even if is not fungus can I use it too for prevention?

Is there some certain ingredient in the powder that I should avoid or something ?

Tinactin foot powder is what members have used in dust bath to help clear up fungus. If you suspect it's fungus you need to do more than just adding the foot powder to a dust bath. The cage needs to be completely cleaned with bleach and then allowed to dry completely, any wooden ledges need to be bleached and if possible sanded down.

Can you describe the symptoms your chin is having and if possible take pictures and post them of the areas you believe have fungus.

I`m going tomorrow to buy the foot powder and also I`m gonna clean the cage and all that.

Well at first he had those spots on his fur that looks a lot like dandruff, but know is getting everywhere and is very itchy for him. And also he`s paws are red, and is missing fur around the nose.

Here is a picture with his chest, and you can see the nose and the side of his body in the "HELP" thread. I posted there but no one answers me yet.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 99
I used the Tinactin foot powder as suggested above and we had good results with this. We did a full cleaning of everything and saw results with in a few days. Good luck!

Someone did answer you. Using antifungal powder on something like that will most likely do nothing. It's not fungus. Read Spoof's post. She gave you information on what to do to treat it.

I'll post it here too. That is a skin infection. Go find some sulfur. Even if it was fungus, sulfur would treat it faster and is safe for a young chin to ingest.

I agree with Spoof, that is a skin infection. Dander is not yellow, yellow "scabs" like that indicate a superficial skin infection. In addition to the sulfur (if you want to try that), you should go to your vet and get an oral antibiotic. I'm betting there is infection spread throughout his skin and it won't go away unless you hit it hard and fast.

It`s yellow because of the betadine.
I`m going to buy a foot powder, I don`t have money now to go to a vet and at the same time I don`t want.
I havent find an exotic vet who really knows something about chins, I don`t want to get him to a random vet cause he only guesses what`s wrong with him and I don`t want him to have another allergic reaction.

I will try with the foot powder for now.
Thank you for all your answers.

None of my guys have symptoms of a fungus, but in case they did...Where would I get sulfur?

Call around to livestock feed stores - it's a common antifungal used in cattle and horses. It's also used on Roses, and you might just get lucky and find it in a nursery too.

I bought today an antifungal powder but I`m not sure if is good. I went to many different stores and this is the one that I find.

The ingredients are : Talc, Zea Mays Starch, Boric Acid, Zinc Sterate, Salicylic Acid, Potassium Sulfate, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

Is there any bad ones there ?

And also says here that you should avoid contact with eyes,mouth and nose.
How I`m gonna put the powder in his dustbath then ?

Back