What to expect when introducing chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

I've had Chalupa and Persephone a little over a month, and I intend to try and introduce them into the same cage once I get wooden shelves for them in a week or so. Persephone is really gentle, a 5 year old female, and they are going to be moving into her cage. I'm going to clean everything out, put new liners in, as well as the shelves, so it'll be a pretty neutral environment. Chalupa is who I'm worried about. She's about 7 months old, very energetic, and tends to be somewhat aggressive. We've trimmed her whiskers in the hopes that she'll calm down, and I think moving her to persephone's cage (which even though it's cleaned out will probably still have some of her smell) will mellow her out.

They've been out to play together a couple of times, to try and get them used to each other, and they do the nose lock thingy, that looks like they're kissing, and sometimes Chalupa will run after Persephone, but no huge fights or anything. What I'm wondering is what to expect when they are introduced. At what point do you separate them? I realize that if fur pulling and things like that are happening, they should be separated, but what's normal behavior? Are little fights to assert dominance expected?

Thanks for all the help.

You never know what you're going to get with two unique chins and although little fights could be normal for one pair, they may escalate quickly for another. You just have to keep a very close eye and be prepared to separate when needed. Chins can be brutal to each other. However; kacking, humping and a little chasing is to be expected to an extent. Fur should not be flying, blood should not even come AT ALL.

With that said, I would probably try quite a few playtimes before putting them into a cage together, as that could freak out either of them even if it is wiped down and such. You would probably be best introducing them in a completely neutral room for playtime until they are totally comfortable together.

Back