What To Expect During "Puberty"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

Having 2 four month old boys coming here I was hoping to get some info about what to expect when/while/if they go through puberty. About what age does this happen? Thanks!

sometimes they will have some dominance "squabbles", they may or ma not start humping things, including your hand, each other, anything they can reach. and they will clean their genital area a lot. But some don't do any of these things (other than the cleaning, they all do that).

sometimes they will have some dominance "squabbles", they may or ma not start humping things, including your hand, each other, anything they can reach. and they will clean their genital area a lot. But some don't do any of these things (other than the cleaning, they all do that).

Perfecly said.

I think they start at 6-9 months as well. Not 100% sure on that. I have a 4 month old boy so I have yet to go through that with him yet. He's already a handful so I'm anxious to see what he'll be like than :).

My violet boy was five and half months and he started being uber agressive to all my other boys, especially his cagemate. I had to seperate them before someone got seriously hurt. I spoke with the breeder and she said that sometimes they get like that during the teenage months. He has yet to calm down. So make sure you have an extra cage on hand just in case something happens.

Ditto on what Kristy said. I have 2 boys, a 4 month old and a 1 year old. My 1 year old started doing the humping/mounting thing when he was about 11 months old and just recently I have noticed him cleaning himself (you can read my thread on the "my chin is doing his own hair ring checks") :eek:

My Weeko reached puberty at 10 months. She dominance-humped her cagemate, and was aggressive in doing it. Watch out for bad fights, not just squabbles. Weeko was almost killed. Now she lives alone.

Mine were 7 months old.

They were chasing/humping a great deal more and were quite short tempered with each other - telling each other off and crashing around the cage all night. They did have some squabbles - once I caught them on their hind legs 'boxing' like kangeroos but no serious agression. They calmed down after about a month of it and now they are happy together again.

is it normal for the female to hump the male was well? they keep mounting each other.

Yes, in mixed pairs and male/male and female/female it's quite normal. They are establishing dominance.

Back