What to do!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
:help:Ok, some kid on Craigs list has four chins for sale...Mommy daddy and two babies...They will come with the cage food at what ever esle he has with them. Basically, he's moving out on his own and doesn't want to take them with him. So...I'm faced with "rescueing" the four of them, seperating to see if we'll have babies, then either keeping or rehomeing. Any advice? Is it worth it to help them out? I'll need to buy more supplies...New cages, ledges, toys and fleece. I'm just torn. I knew I shouldn't have looked up chins on craigs list...:hmmm:

I've bought a few cages off craigslist. Nothing fancy. Just to get by with. The chins won't mind. That might help with the expense. Chin's really don't need much. Good food, hay and some wood to chew. Any "AG" store has bulk pine cheaper then a pet store. I've taken in a few rescues. They are quite happy here. I don't have any regrets. Good luck. My last cage off craigslist was a bunny cage. I tore out the wire bottom and added a pine wood ledge and a house. Also post in the "WANTED" section and see if you are given some water bottles or supplies someone doesn't want anymore. Bleach em. Just a thought. Good luck.

I agree with the other posters. You can probably find cheap or free supplies on Craigslist, and once you decide what you're going to do with the chins, you can either feel good that you found some unfortunate chins good homes, or you can enjoy them yourself! :)

I found two cages for my rescues through a retired ferret rescue. She gave me water bottles, food bowls, dust bath houses (She had them because her friend had a pet shop that closed down) and the whole shebang. I gave her what she asked for the cages: $40. She even went through the trouble of sanitizing them for me (Even though I did it again to be safe when I got home). She was a really nice lady, maybe you can find someone like that. Just post you're trying to rescue some chins, need cages, willing to pay a small fee.
As far as they go, I'm about to take in another chin. A 5 year old male and his owner is moving and can't take him with her. No way in a million billion years was I planning on getting more (Yeah, I said that after Doof, said it after Bubbles and the boys, said that again after my guy, said it again after Aiko and Rini...) but sometimes if you have the funds, if you have the knowledge and skills, and you have the time, it's best for you to do it before some total screw ball gets them.
I hope you make the right decision.

I would take them. Because if you don't someone else will and they will probably continue to breed them. Even if you can't keep them, atleast take them and post them here as a rescue or find one in your area.

A while back I took in a rescue boy chin that I rehomed. It's just best to find them a home that you know will take care of them and give them what they deserve.

Only real questions to ask are do you have the time and the resources. If it's yes to both, then yes it's worth it.

Honestly, I probably have the money and to spare. I have a lot on my plate with school, work, four fuzzballs and house breaking my puppy. BUT...someone that is going to just keep breeding them or keep them all in the same cage till one gets killed cuz the two boys are fighting over a girl or something...:cry4:It just breaks my heart. ok, you've guilted me into it. (At least that is what I'm telling my boyfriend when he yells at me) And I am on very good terms with a rescue/breeder in Tuscan. Does anyone else in here know Susan from AZchins? Anyway, I will call him back and see what we can do about price. If I can talk him down to 200, that would rock!!!

I am sure the chins will be so happy!

You'll update us on how they are doing if you get them, yes?

Update us when you get the time. I should be getting my little booger this coming week.

Back