what mutation??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBug

i just got Boo Boo yesterday (dec 31st).
i've heard three answers; dark standard, ebony, and black velvet.
so i'm asking the experts (you guys)
what is he??

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

are these pictures huge and sideways? cause they are showing up that way on my computer.. but thats not how they are on photobucket :/

Last edited:
A white ebony has a lot more white than that. I have a couple hetero ebonies that have white/grey patches or streaks. Its just the other influences in their background showing up.

Here's a link of a couple of my ebonies. The first few pics are of a TOV ebony (mom is homo eb and dad is a bv). The 2nd chin is my hetero ebony (mom is homo eb and dad is a standard). My male has a lot of streaks that you can see in LoveBug's chin, but not nearly as white.

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29769

Last edited:
Those aren't white spots just normal lighter grey areas where his veiling doesn't reach and his armpits, which most ebonies have but people don't notice. That is a very interesting and older line of ebony I haven't seen pop up in awhile. As you can see in the picture you can have a very light top and very dark belly. I saw several of those in the Pacific Northwest in the late 90's. Not sure who was breeding them but they brought a couple to the Boise show the first year it was around.

Is there a reason it can't be a tov ebony? It looks so dark on top of the head down through the nose. I don't know that much about tov ebonies and haven't seen too many either.

He's not a tov cause he would be much lighter on the belly than the pics show. Definetly a hetro ebony.
He's not TOV because he doesn't have Tov veiling. Tov does not determine belly color, think of it as a pattern that lays on top of other colors.

Is there a reason it can't be a tov ebony? It looks so dark on top of the head down through the nose.
To spot a Tov chin look for it to come down the sides of the face, not the front. Normal veiling comes down the front, Tov extends down the sides and jaw.

I have a picture of one here

Last edited:
Spoof (or anyone)-- if you look on her other thread "BooBoo", there are additional pics of this chin. His fur looks almost... brindle? There are what appear to be lighter spots on other parts of the body. Can lighter ebonies show spots or variations in the fur shading like a mosaic would? I haven't seen too many ebonies with fur like that.

other thread "BooBoo", there are additional pics of this chin. His fur looks almost... brindle? There are what appear to be lighter spots on other parts of the body. Can lighter ebonies show spots or variations in the fur shading like a mosaic would?
The spots and variations you are seeing are from the white bar in his fur. He's a light ebony on top with dark veiling (black) and a white bar. Where he is missing chunks of fur you'll see a lighter patch, and because he isn't groomed and is a little choppy the "brindle" is just his fur cracking in layers. Completely normal.

Here are some decade old pictures of an ebony I had of a similar type. In the first butt shot you see white spots because she is missing fur. You can even see how her babies look differently at birth than the line I have now. They are born that slate color with very dark backs and the back and belly darkens as the veiling comes in. :))

Attachments

• P4140039.JPG
    P4140039.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P4140057.JPG
    P4140057.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P4140065.JPG
    P4140065.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
  • P8170003.JPG
    P8170003.JPG