What happened to my chinchilla? Was he suffocating/choking? Please help.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_lex

Something happened to my chinchilla yesterday and I would like to understand what it was.

He had an operation and was prescribed a medication to be given with a syringe. I have done it before to him and all was fine. I know to be very careful, to give it from the side of his mouth, not too quick, allow time to swallow, because if he chokes it may be bad as they lack ability to vomit. So he was quite still, but stressed because of last month happenings like an electric shock he experienced, then chewed on his burned limb and then had it amputated. So i was giving that medicine to him, his head was in a normal position, he was refusing a bit. Suddenly he started touching his mouth with his paw then very slowly his head fell on my lap, his lip was open a bit, then very slowly he started twisting like you twist a wet towel. First thought was that he is suffocating.He kept twisting like if he had two separate body parts, then wagging his tail but looking almost dead. I went downstairs with him to ask my friend for help, asked him to hold chinchilla on his lap, then i called a vet. While I was talking to the vet chinchilla got better and then he seemed to recover, eating and so on, not a lot of activity as he is still recovering and on calming medication (painkiller). Could you help me understand if it wa sliquid gone in the wrong way or something else? He wasnt making any sound while this was happening.Was is suffocating or twisting of inner organs, maybe in a stomach? If there is some liquide in the lungs how can i help? Someone suggested blowing on his nose so he sneezes and the liquide comes out. I might try to tickle him instead as blowing will scare him.

Will greatly appreciate some help.

Thank you

It almost sounds like a seizure to me but difficult to say without seeing. It is possible he was choking a bit on the food and needed to get upright to clear it (assuming feeding on back) but repetitive odd movements make me think seizure. And I'm not sure what to suggest for that. Could be low blood sugar, could be stress. Unfortunately in most animals there isn't too much to do unless it becomes a regular thing. But maybe look up what to do for low blood sugars so that you have something to try if it does happen again.

I'm not an expert, but that sounds like a seizure. I'm not sure what to do about it, because my girl died after her seizure. Makes me sad just thinking about it. Wishing you and your little one all you need to get him through this time.

its possible your chin had a seizure. There are several causes for them (stress, poor diet, over exercise, genetics...). I would monitor him closely for the next few days

Hello

Thank you all for your answers! I am sorry it took so long to say thank you. I truely must have been seizure. He was very stressed. He recovered though. Is doing well, except .. that he has cought a cold i guess.. But in terms of nerves i have been advised to give him oats every other day and it has helped a lot.

Thank you for your support and love.

Hopefully he will get better now as he has a runny nose...

Alex

Back