What gender is my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abianchetti

Hi,

i’ve just got a new chinchilla. He/she’s about 10 months old.

I am not sure of the gender. Can someone take a look at the photo and tell me?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 78714EF9-62C4-4B2A-BDEF-87C4CFD5B0BA.jpeg
    78714EF9-62C4-4B2A-BDEF-87C4CFD5B0BA.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5
It’s male.

When the vet told us for our first chin that it is male, six months later we brought another male, so that they can be friends. I was wondering how can I make them bond, since they were “two males”. They didn’t get along in the beginning.

And three months after that I learned that our first chin is actually female. So, we have male and female.

We keep them in separate cages, but sometimes when we let them out together - they kiss. :)

We didn’t want to have two chins of different gender but.. now it is what it is. Love them both anyways. ❤️

It’s male.

When the vet told us for our first chin that it is male, six months later we brought another male, so that they can be friends. I was wondering how can I make them bond, since they were “two males”. They didn’t get along in the beginning.

And three months after that I learned that our first chin is actually female. So, we have male and female.

We keep them in separate cages, but sometimes when we let them out together - they kiss. :)

We didn’t want to have two chins of different gender but.. now it is what it is. Love them both anyways. ❤️
Ideally, intact males & female should not interact at all during any out of cage time, breeding can take literally seconds with chins.

Thanks! I know. That is why we don’t let them outside in the same time. And when we do, it is in a small hallway in my apartment (between all closed doors) where we can separate them immediately if we notice that my male chin “jumps” onto her.

We are very careful about that as we would not like to breed them.

Back