What Flavor Koolaid?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderatr
I know several people use koolaid to dye/flavor wood, so I was wondering what flavor(s) chins seem to like the best? Or do people just pick the colors they want? Or does it really vary from chin to chin? I bought grape and strawberry to flavor some poplar coins that my guys aren't too interested in, so I'll see how that goes.:hmm:

We tried orange once, they didn't like it at all. We figured that since they go nuts whenever we peel an orange they would like it, but they didn't. We also tried diluted apple juice to soak already chewed sticks and that didn't appeal to them either.

I've used lime, mango, and the blue punch one, as well as the standard grape, cherry, and orange. I didn't realize notice a preference or aversion for that matter.

So stupid question here....I have never tried this. Do you just add water to the kool aid power and paint it on the wood?

So stupid question here....I have never tried this. Do you just add water to the kool aid power and paint it on the wood?

Basically, but I have found Kool-Aid isn't enough pigment to really dye things. I've had to add food coloring as well.

I just took a couple jars and mixed the kool aid in those and dropped the wood coins in to soak over night, weighed down with a glass, the strawberry one came out nice and bright red. I messed up on the grape which I made up first, you only need a little water like a cup not make up the 2L of kool aid.:facepalm: It still dyed just light purple. I then took them and dried them on low heat in the oven. I let them air dry at first and they now have green spots,:banghead: so right into the oven next time. (the coins have been tossed).

But to get an idea of the coloring soaking over night...

Attachments

• KoolaidCoins.jpg
    KoolaidCoins.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 15
Back