What filling/stuffing material is safe for a DIY fleece pillow for chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brenny

I saw a lot of Etsy fleece pillows are filled with cotton or poly-fil. Are these materials safe? If not, what else is a safe option? Thank you.

I don’t think those are safe. I made my own pillow and stuffed it with pieces of fleece.

The only safe material to stuff pillows for chins with is strips of more fleece too big to swallow. Cotton and poly-fil stuffing could cause a blockage if swallowed.

Thank you, Amethyst and Sage12. What type of threads do you use to sew your pillows and other fleece items? I saw online that some people use polyester SEW ALL thread and some just use cotton threads. Does the thread material matter? Thank you.

I don’t think it matters but I don’t have much experience. You just have to hide the thread so it can’t be pulled up.

Thank you, Amethyst and Sage12. What type of threads do you use to sew your pillows and other fleece items? I saw online that some people use polyester SEW ALL thread and some just use cotton threads. Does the thread material matter? Thank you.
I just use whatever thread I have, I think it's polyester general purpose thread, but either way it doesn't really matter since the thread should be inside and is dangerous if the chin gets to it, so no external stitching. Anything sewn you do need to keep an eye on to make sure no seams are coming undone or getting chewed open.

I just use whatever thread I have, I think it's polyester general purpose thread, but either way it doesn't really matter since the thread should be inside and is dangerous if the chin gets to it, so no external stitching. Anything sewn you do need to keep an eye on to make sure no seams are coming undone or getting chewed open.
Thank you, Amethyst 😄🙏

Back