What do you think?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addictedtochins

Socially inept
I've had this idea for a while. There are so many chinchillas out there who are not getting the proper care, many times not intentionally but from mis-information. What if we all placed an ad in the local classifieds stating what a chinchilla's basic needs are and possibly the CnH web address? I think that we should place it in the misc. catergory, not animals because they may not be looking at animals. Can we all help with the content's of the ad? Thanks, Theresa

how would that be set up???

I just don't know how that would be put together and handled...

maybe a little clearer idea???:confused:

Well I for instance would put a classified ad in the local little weekly classified paper that is free at many stores in the N. Idaho area. It's pretty cheap, like $5 for a short ad.
The short ad would state basic care and no-no's for chinchillas and perhaps add the web address for CnH inviting the chin owner to learn more. I would like it if a bunch of us in all different areas could do it, maybe on the same day?

Basic Chinchilla Information
Boy's and girl's are easily mis-sexed
Feed a basic chinchilla food without fruit, seeds, treats etc.
Chinchilas teeth are supposed to be orange
They should not feel bony and underweight
Use proper chin dust at least 1-2X week, not dirt, sand.
Fresh timothy hay every day
Fresh filtered water every day
No wire wheels, no plastic in cage
To learn more about chinchillas and even hedgies go to www.chins-n-hedgies.com

I'm not good at writing and obviously need help with ideas. But if some chinnies could be helped that would be great!

Okay let us assume that we get half of the members oo the current CnH to participate and that all of the ads cost five dollars.

5 X 234 = 1,170

It seems like those 1,000 dollars could help more chinchillas by being donated to a rescue, doesn't it? I like the idea of putting an ad in the paper if it were going to reach people. The thing is, chances are the ads wouldn't be read by many chinchilla owners, and there are those who would ignore it, choosing to trust their Petco book over an ad in a paper.

Theresa.. I like the idea, but I think Rebecca makes a valid point also. Maybe there's another way to get the info out to new (and old) Chin parents.

I offer my knowledge and experience with various Exotic 'kids ..to the masses ..by letting key people in various shops around the area, selectively give my email and/or cell phone # to new pet owners. (Of course, I have a rapport with the people in the shops, so they don't give Freaky Joe Fred my personal info ..but they do give it to Sally and Seth Normal.) This will not likely work for most members here, but it has worked for me.

Another way I get the proper info out ..for these various animals... is to participate in events that offer some "stage time". For instance, shows.. classroom presentations.. pet shop presentations (believe it or not!) ...and other events/places.

Maybe some of the larger rescue groups in particular areas can put something together ..along with their normal "adoption day" events ..or something along those lines. Then flyers and cards could be presented to folks.

Just some thoughts...

Um not to pop any bubbles, but an ad with that many words is going to cost WAY more than 5$ - I placed an ad to sell my husband's car and it cost $75 to run it for 7 days with about 15 words. Besides traditional newspaper readership is WAY down (everyone goes online for news nowadays). Better idea is to use social media (Twitter, Facebook, Myspace) that are free and post bulletins, blogs etc. These come up in search engines when newbies are doing searches for "chinchillas." Yes! My graduate degree is paying off :)

Back