What do you personally look for in a breeding pair?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRSimpson

Hey,
I am hoping on getting into breeding, once I have the knowledge necessary. I will be attending the NY/NE show to learn this as well, but I was hoping the breeders here could tell me what they look for when purchasing a breeding chin. I know you want to look for chins that complement one another. ANd obviously a show chin that has own awards is good for breeding, but how do you decide without showing? What exact qualities do you look for? Or can someone give me a link on what defines show quality? Exact traits, comparisons?

Thanks!

PS As I said I am looking into getting into breeding but I want to do it right. I want to learn all I can, then start off with good quality chins. People have worked hard to breed for best genetics, no point in me starting with subpar and trying to catch up to current breeders. I want to start with the best, I so not want to be a back yard breeder. I want to breed for quality. I will also be attending shows to watch judges comments and try to learn as well but I was hoping to start getting information on here.

Going to a show is a great way to start. You need to learn to see the traits and faults and its a very useful learning tool for new breeders. Do you have a certain color you are looking to breed for? I normally suggest sticking to a simple one until you get more experienced. Another good idea is to by adults or young adults. Buying kits is risky since you never know how they will grow out. Most breeders will be happy to help you by showing what needs improved or what the lines consistently throw. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The mcba website has a glossary of show terms that you might want to read over before hand. That way you can understand better what the judges comments mean.

I'm curious about this as well, but going to a show isn't exactly in the cards for me. I live in utah, and the closest show is Ohio...and that isn't exactly close. It'd be nice to know kinda what to look for, instead of always getting the same "oh go to a show, go find a breeder"...because for some of us...that isn't possibe ;P

Ivory. I live in Idaho. There are shows in Seattle Washington and California every year. Much closer than Ohio. We go every year.

Ivory. I live in Idaho. There are shows in Seattle Washington and California every year. Much closer than Ohio. We go every year.

Could you send me info on those?? The only place that shows up when I search for Chinchilla shows are ones that the MCBA have on their site, and alllll of those are back east. California is MUCH more do-able, haha

Look under the section of chinchilla shows on this forum. The Washington show has been posted. I beLieve California has too. These shows are ECBC shows

SRSimpson- judging by the show you've chosen you must be on the eastern side of the country? First, NOBODY on this page is against breeding...but we're ALL against irresponsible breeding. You seem to understand this and that'll make things go a LOT easier around here :) I'm with dreamlite, do you know what color(s) you want to start with for breeding? Each color is noted for different "problem areas" so to speak but that doesn't mean you can't start with the best of the best...simply that to breed certain colors well ON YOUR OWN you need a bit of experience under your belt first. That said, a show is the best place to start. If you know you want to breed, you've done research about BREEDING (not about quality traits, just the actual financial, physical & emotional strains breeding causes on you and the animals) and think you're at the point of wanting to start...get a color in mind and ask around about WHO is a quality breeder of that color. Maybe they could make you a nice "starter pair". I like recommending starter pairs for a few reasons. First, you get your feet wet with breeding...if you have an experienced breeder make the pair then you're already breeding for quality AND in the meantime, you can attend a show or two before you even have offspring!

Thanks so much everyone for your input.

I have found that I love violets and ebonies. Violet being my favorite, however is understand that they are a rather difficult mutation. So depending on your advice I will likely stick to one or the other. I am indeed in North East. I live in Upstate New York we have some breeders around here but most of huge shows are in the Midwest I've found.

That being said what are breeders known for good ebony lines,good ones for violet lines? I would love a starter pair, I was thinking what I might also do is after this show, get information and do more research and then maybe get a pair at a future show. Ask the judges or people showing which chins would be good, complement each other etc. And as they'd have been shown I would know exactly what qualities are good which they have and their quality if they placed. This is if people sell chins at shows of course, or if they only show animals they plan on keeping. Either way it will likely be a bit until I get into actual breeding XD.

PS: I have considered financial, emotional and physical aspects and believe I can handle it. I have read through the breeding horror stories forum to make sure I can deal with such a thing. I am an Emergency Medical technician, volunteer. I have a strong stomach thankfully. I have called around, and we have a good vet who does exotics close by. And Cornell veterinary hospital which does absolutely everything, is an hour away.

Also post your general location, maybe a breeder here can help you find a mentor or be a mentor.

Personally, if it was me I would start with a standard pair. Standards should be your foundation for a great herd. My herd consists of 70% standards. Without them I cannot improve on my other colors. So my main focus is on standards. Second and third focus would be blacks and blue diamonds.

Buy the best standard male you can buy. They should carry excellent color, fur density, clarity, etc. Whatever that male lacks, for instance, size-buy that in a female but keep in mind the color, clarity, etc. If you stray to far from good characteristics in your female you will only be improving the female and not the male. So say the male has excellent clarity, color, density and strength but small. Your female is large but down in color. In theory, some of your kits will be large with excellent color, density, etc. However some will also be off color. Those you pelt/pet out. The excellent offspring you keep and find an animal that compliments them again.

I am still new here so the mods have to approve each post of mine, I apologize for thus my delay in posting. It seems that it is posted in chronological order so my posts insert themselves before others, once they are approved. So it is easy to skip over my posts or they do not show as the most recent on the forums page.

Anyways, which ranches are known in the show world for good ebony and violet lines? As well as standards? I know Shoots is supposed to have some amazing standards! And from my knowledge the Ryersons have amazing standards, ebonies and violets. ( I am hoping to make it to the next Ohio Field day to see for myself).

Well, I always support the "little guy" as far as breeders go. I hear enough touting of the big names...there are some very seriously good little guys in the industry and I think they often get overlooked. It was a "big name" that took GSC at this past Atlantic Chapter show with a dark ebony...it was a smaller breeder. Some of the smaller names that are known for quality: Tiffany Whitlow for ebonies, Cheryl Robertson for ebonies, Barb Alton for ebonies...violet, I don't know that world well but I know Cheryl Robertson also has nice violets. Standards, most smaller breeders that show have nice standards...Tiffany does, Alicyn Cross does...there used to be a much longer list but SO many good breeders have gotten out of chins in the past 5yrs or so :(

To answer one of your first questions Simpson, I try to find animals that have good clarity, and then traits that balance with each other. To me I really dislike off color the most and I can have one breeding run/colony max, so I try to avoid it in any animal I pick. For example the girls I have carefully gathered all have clear color, but some are medium size (in the 700g range) and most have some type of veiling issue. All are 1st place animals. It was hard to achieve due to breeders not showing or selling girls much. I'm looking now for a male with great veiling and at least moderate size (I don't need giant chins but I don't want small ones either).

I think if I redid my start again I'd be 10x more picky about my first male. And I'd get a female that was proven if possible (for the first time it's nice to know she was successful). My first litter ended with emergency spay and 1 living and 1 dead kit from a first time mom.

If you want to do violets I'd start with a standard pair for experience and you need lots of standards to mix in with violets. Recessive colors are the hardest, personally I'd categorize ebony in the "difficult" color group too. So if you start with one definitely get a mentor that specializes in that color type!

Back