What age should i look for in a second chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churrnobyl

Hello, I've decided to get a new chinchilla friend for my current chinchilla, but I'm not sure if I should go for a certain age chinchilla. My current chin is over 3 and a half years old. I know size plays a role in dominance and how they can get along together, so should I look for a specific age range? Or at least search for a chin the same size as him? I know the getting along even in the same age range isn't guaranteed and each little guy is different, but I'd like to try and aim in the right direction.

I would get one at least 6 months to a year old, but also under probably about 5yrs. That way it's big enough to defend itself and likely hasn't gotten use to living alone. Most pet chins are normally around 600-800g so that size difference isn't that much, but domestic chins can range from about 400-1,200g so try to keep around the same size, you probably don't want a chin that is only 400g being paired with a 1,000g+ one for example, try to keep them within a couple hundred grams of each other.

Back