wet chinchilla!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

claire176

Help!!!

I've just been down to check on the chinnys before bed and we've had a leak!!

Mother and kit are soaking wet!!

I've towel dried them and put them in a clean dry cage but was wondering if they are going to be ok??

Any advice??

thanks claire

are they completely dry? Or are they still damp? You can dry them off with a hair blow dryer with it set on the cool setting.
How old is the kit? If it's still really young I would worry if it's still damp..

the kit was born 22/05/09

I have dried them off as much as i can the kit wasn't as wet as mum as she was hiding under her!! thank god!!

Cant believe oneof my pipes has burst gonna have to call a plumber in morn as its 12.50am here!!

thanks
claire

I have a confession to make *head low* My chin was running around the house almost a year ago and found an open toilet! Her whole backend was wet. At the time I didn't realize the danger of a wet chin and just towel dried her as best I could. She was fine and never had any problems. Now she doesn't get to run around the house anymore ( I have boys who don't know how to put the toilet lid down) and I don't think she has the opportunity to get wet, but I think if you get them dry down to the skin, your chins should be alright. Good luck!

Jenn--The same thing happened to me 3 1/2 years ago the first time i let my chin out. I didnt know anything about chins and i put him on the counter in the bathroom and within 5 seconds he was in the toilet. its probably better that i didnt know much back then cause now i am neurotic!!!

I had a chin get loose in the house, and I cornered her in my bathroom. When I reached for her she jumped and plopped right into the toilet. I was horrified! I towel dried her and then finished with a hair dryer on the lowest setting, held 6-8 inches away. This worked very well, and she came through fine. This same girl managed to do this again, only she jumped into the bucket of water I was using to clean cages! We went through the whole drill again and she is fine to this day.

The important thing is to make sure they stay warm until they have dried completely, especially the kit. If mom is ok and not shivering, then the baby shoudl stay underneath her and will stay warm and dry off that way. Just keep an eye and if it seems like they are getting chilled, wrap them up in a towel and cradle them until they are dry.

I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who's chin has jumped into the toilet! Although, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!!! I'm happy all our chins turned out just fine!

I think all of us have had that I used to let them out while I was taking a bath Harm jumped in the tub with me. I got him out and before I had a chance to get out to grab him and dry him off he rolled in the clumping cat litter. It was a horrible mess, ending with a very special hair cut for him. But I learned several lessons that night. Granted this was many years ago when it was just Harm....Just make sure they are dry it will be fine

Thanks all!!

Mother and baby are doing fine!!

claire

Back