Welcome Jedi: My first kit ever! Pics and video of the birth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seachin

Hi forum!

Just wanted to introduce A1, my first kit as a chinchilla breeder. He was born on 5/25. I couldn't have done it without the help of my mentors and people/posts on this forum.

His dam is a BV and his sire is a PW. I thought he was a standard when he was all slimey, then when he finally dried out I realized he was a white mosaic! What are the chances?!?! (Okay, I know, 12.5%) I decided to name him...Jedi! Bonus points if you know why...

Anyhow, pics...

Just after birth:
May252011114-1.jpg

First evening and weighing...60g (ish)....I didn't realize there was poop on the scale....
May252011118-1.jpg

May252011119-1.jpg

My first time holding a kit...they're so light, I was afraid I was going to break him...
May252011120-1.jpg

Mama wants him back:
May252011121-1.jpg

Thanks guys! Can someone tell me more about their experience with mosaic markings? I just know I have seen some where they are white and grey, others are white and black...but they do change from birth to adulthood.

Do color/pattern changes stabilize or are they more fluid throughout their lives?

I assume there is no inheritability of the mosaic pattern in their offspring?

Congrats!

As for the patterns, I have a white female that consistently threw the kits with the same markings over three litters with the same male. Whites change as they get older and will eventually stabilize.

Omg, so cute!

Jedi, eh? I totally was thinking of SW theme for my next chins. We of course listed Jedi, Sith, Vadar and Revan. Even if I do have girls, lol! Visas wouldn't be too bad either though...

Congrats on your first chin!

Oh my gosh, he's so cute!!!

I know I am only 2 months into chin ownership, but I sure wish I had the time for babies. Maybe someday!

Love the name, too. I'm a huge Star Wars fan!!

Depends on the line. If you keep and breed this same line you'll get to know how it's patterns throw/evolve. Some darken with age, some lighten with age, you've got Tov in the mix so that might show up later on in large black spots.

Some males throw the same patterns, some throw different every time. I've even had some throw a higher percentage of whites over their lifetime than others.

For the handfeeding - I usually give them 30 hours, that keeps them stimulating mom. If you feed them too much they'll quit trying to suck you don't want that. :))

Congrats on catching it on film!

Just wanted to update you on Jedi. He is 3.5 weeks now...packing on the grams (he is up to 120grams as of this morning...he's a pig!) but getting lighter in shade. My sister thought it was funny that he basically looks like a hamster now.:laughitup:

From last week...the first time I saw him on a ledge (it's only 4" off the floor)
June52011006-2.jpg

Starting to eat hay a few days ago
June182011040-1.jpg

Mom and him "sharing" an apple twig. I have since had to give them separate twigs or mom hogs them!
June132011008-1.jpg

Mom's milk never came in...handfeeding has been exhausting (I don't know how you all with multiple kits do it!) I was a zombie :wacko: until last week when he started eating more and going longer between feedings.

Back