Weight loss - Post splint removal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

So we're a little perplexed about Kokomo at the moment...

As you may know, he had surgery for his broken leg back in late December. He finally got his splint off on Wednesday and we started leg rehab as instructed. Over the past few days, his appetite and thirst have significantly increased and his poos are looking even better than they have... but he lost around 50g over the course of 2-3 days (390 down to 340). It's been stable around 340 for approximately 24 hours now, so it doesn't look like a trend. His leg had been a bit swollen with fluid while he had his splint on, which has since completely gone down... so might that contribute to the weight loss? He's also been a little more active without the splint, so I imagine that could contribute as well.

I realize he is very underweight at this point, but we're unsure as to whether we should be supplementing when his appetite is so good (first time we had seen him eat his entire 3 tbsp of pellets in quite a while, and he's pretty much done it again today). He's also been med-free for a few weeks now, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts?

Just a question that might seem like a "duh" but was the 390g with the splint on?

And I'd still supplement, even though he's eating fine. Every little thing is going to help him right now.

Which meds did he have? Metacam (for instance) can be an appetite suppressant and once they are off it they start eating better. So that may be effecting him.

How much rehab is he having? When were the weights taken? (pre and post splint or with the splint on?)

Lack of splinting, reduced swelling (could have been uncomfortable), and exercise will all contribute to appetite increase.
If he's troughing more food then that's good news - I will leave it to the US peeps to advocate supplements to add weight since I'm in the Uk and we use different products. :)

Last edited:
There are a couple of things you can use to supplement. I've used Critical Care, this does not necessarily have to be syringe fed. You can mix it thicker and offer it on the end of a Popsicle stick or put it in a bowl and see if he's interested. There is also LifeLine which can be given daily as a supplement. Ryerson's also has a supplement that's oats and a variety of good things that helps with weight gain.

Both weights were taken post splint removal.

He had been on Metacam and Baytril, but as I mentioned, he's been off meds for about 3 weeks now.

As far as rehab, we were told to do it as much as he's comfortable with. He's totally content to just hang out on our laps, so we've been able to do it anywhere from 3-5 times a day for about 10 min per session. All it involves is gently extending and flexing his joints to try to improve his range of movement... which isn't great right now, as his leg is very stiff from 6 weeks in the splint. He's such a trooper though... we like to call him our little "love sponge" as he just laps up the attention and cuddles.

ETA: One of the reasons we're concerned about supplementing with CC is that we had to do it once before, and he really struggled through it... definitely didn't like the stuff. Now it will be even more difficult, as he's not wearing a collar (which kept his head somewhat in place before), and without the splint, his leg is very delicate... no way to safely restrain him.

Last edited:
His weight should start slowly increasing if he continues to eat as well as he did today. I would not force critical care at this time. I would see if he continues to eat well and slowly gain. You might want to offer him extra hay if he like it.

I think because of what he has been through I wouldn't worry too much-especially since her is showing signs on eating etc. I would just keep an eye on his weight and make sure he doesn't loose anymore. Keep a note of his daily weight, as it seems you are doing, increase hay is he is interested and see what happens in the next few days. Even though it is a low number it seems as if he's helping himself so you may not have to fix him yet:thumbsup:

Back