Weeing out of cage and dry skin on ears/feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesitsjess

Hi all! :) I used to be a member 9 years ago but couldn't log into my account, so I have a new one!

My 10 year old female chinchilla has recently started to wee out of the top levels of her cage and, consequently, all over the worktop. This has been going on for a month or so now - is there a sinister reason for this or is it just grumpy old ladyness?

Incidently she now has wee on her tail, she's always been very pretty and kept clean so this is bothering me quite a bit but not sure how to clean her.

Also, she has dry skin on her ears and feet, is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for reading!

I don't have females, so not sure how to deal with the spraying. But the dry skin can be fixed with Bag Balm... definitely want to keep her skin from getting too dry and cracking or causing other problems!

I think the important thing is that they may try to lick it off so making sure it's safe for them if ingested. Looking up the ingredients of Bag Balm there is Petroleum Jelly in it. I'd think that used in moderation, it should be ok. There are also places that sell it a little cheaper because it's broken up into smaller quantity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bag Balm is safe for the ears as is vitamin E oil. They can't reach their ears to lick it off. You just put i little of it in the ear and rub it in really good. The dry ears is probably from too many dust baths. It can dry out their skin if done too frequently. Try less dust baths. the staining from pee can be wiped ith an unscented baby wipe. Once it is dry, if the staining is still there try putting cornstarch in the dust bath. It may take a few baths before the staining disappears. A change in urine habbits could indicate a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. You might want to get her checked by the vet to be sure that nothing is wrong.

By the way, take care of the stains and then treat the ears or the dust will stick to her ears and cake on them.

I use coconut oil and they seem not to mind it. They dont bother with their ears after I put it on either.

Many thanks for the advice! Just looked up this "bag balm" and its really expensive - is there any reason I can't use something like vaseline? Won't go using anything on her unless its been tried and tested though, don't worry :p
Both Bag Balm and Vaseline are petroleum based products. I don't use them on animals that can lick, groom or ingest the product. I would go with Vitamin E or coconut oil, both of which won't hurt if digested.

Back