Website..?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

I didn't know where exactly to post this. I figured since it had to do with Chinchilla supplies it could go here.

I have been contemplating on creating a website mainly for Chinchilla chew toys and eventually branching off into fleece items. I was wondering really if it would be worth it? I'm not really going to be creating this website for profit. I really enjoy making the toys for my Chinchillas and I don't see a lot of places (if at all) to where maybe you could have your own toy(s) custom built. I don't want to give all my ideas away, so that's as best as I can put it. lol. This is just kinda of a hobby type thing to put some extra pocket change in my pocket, even if it isn't that much. Plus...if I don't sell a lot then my own Chinnies will have a bunch of chew toys. :))

As I've been thinking about this I've also been brainstorming ideas for my online store. I've come up with Chinnie(or Chinny?) Chews. I'm not sure if that just sounds so plain or dumb. What do you all think?

I think if you've got the time and means, you can try it. The only thing is, you have to keep in mind that it is more work than you initially think. For instance, if you sell anything, even online, you need to claim that income on your taxes. Many states and the Federal gov. also require a business license and tax id. I know many small online sellers don't have these, but if you were to get caught, you can get in trouble.

If you create a business, for the Federal gov. you will need a tax id, which you can use your SSN for. But, you need to do different paperwork when tax time comes. Even if you netted a loss for that year you still need to document everything and do the paperwork.

Honestly, unless you sell A LOT of items, you're going to go in the hole. Even though you wouldn't be doing it for profit, it takes quite a bit of money to stock up on things.

Last edited:
I've taken a few business courses, so I know the first 1-2 years you will loose money. And that initially most self owned businesses are known to fail within the first 1-2 years.

I'll have to look into the business license stuff.

There are a lot of chinnie stores out there and I doubt very many of them, if any, claim their income for selling chin toys on their taxes.

I say, if you want to, go for it. We can never have too many chin toy suppliers. Who doesn't want to spoil their kids with even more toys, or new toys? Just make sure the wood you use is from a reputable source or, if you make your own, make sure it is not sprayed with pesticides.

I'm assuming whatever woods are safe for Birds are safe for Chinnies as well? If, however I have a question about the type of wood and it isn't on the Safe/Not Safe wood list I will be sure to ask!

I was kind of wondering if all suppliers on here claimed everything they sold on their taxes.

Is Chinnie(Chinny) Chews too plain of a name or do you think I could get more creative with a name? And which spelling looks better if I went with that name?

For a website that primarily does wood and chew toys, I think ChinnieChews would be a good website name.

Most wood that is safe for birds is also safe for chins, but not all of it is safe for chins. Definitely check here if you are unsure of any woods or search for that type of wood using the forum search function as a lot of woods have been asked about before.

Another thing to point out is where you get the supplies from. Most bird toy parts supply companies should be ok but craft places should be a no-no, as the products are not geared for consumption rather more for decorating and can contain toxins, especially if imported, and even if it says "natural" on the product.

I say go for it. I own/run my own business (two, actually) and while I certainly don't get rich off of it, I do make money. The online business is more time consuming than I thought it would be but it's worth it. Keep in mind you'll need to answer a lot of questions and sometimes go out of your way to explain things to people or search for better deals for your own supplies, etc. It's also hard to go on vacation because orders pile up while you are gone and you have to explain that to people in some way.

As for taxes, yeah, its a pain. You can choose not to claim your income, but then you also can't claim your expenses. For instance, I can write off my supply expenses on my taxes, but I wouldn't want to turn around and say that I didn't make any money off of it. You could get fined for that.

All my items have either come from other Chinchilla chew toy suppliers (quality mutation chins) or bird toy suppliers - no craft suppliers. Craft suppliers are kinda cheap....but they usually want you to pay PER item. That kind of gets expensive to pay for each little piece if you want bulk.

There are a lot of chinnie stores out there and I doubt very many of them, if any, claim their income for selling chin toys on their taxes.

I wouldn't have posted about the taxes if I didn't feel it was important. I sell chin supplies, in fact, it's the only job I do (besides my Etsy stores) and of course I claim all income and pay appropriate taxes. There's state and federal income tax, state sales tax (which is more difficult for different states. Some states are based per county others are state-wide), as well as you also have to pay additional taxes to cover what your employer would normally take out for medicare and social security.

So while you may doubt that any chin supply stores claim taxes, I am one that does. I wouldn't be rude and say you need to claim it and then not do so myself.

I have no issues with another chin supply store out there. Over the past few years many have gone out of business.

I claim everything at income tax time whether to do with my chinchillas or supplies (I am registered as a business.).

I was first told when I started years ago, it doesn't matter if you only come out with $0.50 at the end of the year as being what you made for income - you still have to claim it. I have heard some people say well if you only make $400 or such a year, you don't have to claim it, but in all honesty, why not? You have to pay for the supplies and other things to keep the store going, so why not claim it, why not put down what you've spent into it, etc...?

I will say though, if you are too negative, the person who makes out your income taxes sometimes will laugh at you... I had that happen one year when I was negative eight thousand.... :thumbsup:
And I do agree - alot of supply stores come...and alot go. Very few stick around it seems, when they figure out it isn't very profitable. I can make more money working for $10 an hour and only 3 hours a day for one week, than what I make off chinchilla supplies for 6 months..it's sad to say but true.

I'll look into what all needs to go into me claiming myself as a business for my state. I've sort of looked at it, but not too much yet. I'll keep records of everything I sell (if I sell anything).

I'll see where this little venture will land me. I know that I won't make a bunch, but I will give it a try.

In the US, you're required to claim as a business and claim any income/loss for the year even if you didn't make anything and actually lost money. And yeah, I've heard of people not doing it because they only sold a couple things for the year.

I don't think the risk is worth it. If you got found out that you don't claim your income and are paying the appropriate taxes someone can actually report you. If you made enough money (although I'm sure most chin supply stores don't) the person that tattled would actually get a portion of the fine given to the tax evader.

And I know for me, to sell at craft shows, many times you have to provide your business tax id to get a selling spot.

Okay, I've looked into claiming my business & it's not too complicated, just a lot of paper work.

Now, I just need to come up with a name I'm going to like since this will be an actual business.

I've come up with ChinnieChews, but then I thought of ChinnieChewsPlus (since eventually I would be branching off into fleece items & maybe on later down the road maybe pellets/hay, etc.) Then I also thought of CheweyChins. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Isn't there some kind of rule with the IRS that says if you don't make more than $600 for the year, you don't have to claim it as income? Just a thought...can't find concrete proof of it anywhere, but something to ponder.

Nevermind - "If you earned less than $600 in a tax year from an income source, you must still report the income. Less than a $600 income simply means that the business you did the work for does not, necessarily, have to provide you with the 1099-MISC, but you must still report the earnings. Because you earned less than $600 from that source in no way exempts you from paying taxes on the income." http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-About-IRS-Tax-Form-1099-MISC&id=3730687

Back