watery eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Hello everyone, I noticed today one of my chins eye, his fur looks a lol pressed down. This has happened in the past and I took him to the vet and it wasn't pink eye or anything thing like that and over time it did get better. He is active and eating normally. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a chin on that irritates their eye time to time? I know either a piece of hay or one of his sticks probably irritated it...im praying. Should I be concerned?? Thank You all.

Eye problems should be promptly investigated and treated. Vision loss happens rapidly if there is even a minor injury or infection. Eye problems in herbivores are also often tooth problems that may not yet show other symptoms. The eye at minimum needs rinsed and checked with dye and light for injuries. If you wait and it starts to get inflamed or infected it will be much harder to treat and may not fully recover. We had a guinea pig fight that resulted in a deep shoulder wound and minor eye injury but we were so busy treating the shoulder wound we failed to check the eye. Within 48hrs it was badly infected from a very tiny injury. Probably a shaving or hay piece poked it. He ended up losing the eye. Cattle and horses also often suffer hay caused eye injuries and lose some or all sight. More so in cattle since being a short lived meat animal they often receive minimal treatment or home remedies.

How is it treated? I didn't treat it with anything last time and it did get better over a lil time. If it just a irritation it won't heal by itself?

I'd say give it a few days and watch it. If it starts swelling, stays shut, or develops goop then seek vet care. It could be the start of teeth, allergies, infection, etc. The dr won't do anything for it if its clear discharge.

Rinse with saline to get particles out of the eye. Infections and inflammation will require eye drops or gel. Bad infections or large injuries that are likely to get infected often get prescribed both an eye treatment and an oral or injected antibiotic. Recurring problems or refusal to heal could be a sign of tooth issues.

As far as,tooth issues....they always have had plenty of access to wood chews, lava stones, etc.... If they have plentiful ways of tooth chews could there still be a good chance of tooth issues?

Tooth issues can happen irregardless of diet and enrichment. Sometimes it's genetic in a certain line of animals and sometimes it's just an anomaly in one individual.

Elongation of the upper incisor roots can block the lacrimal duct drain and cause watery eyes without infection, it can also cause repeated infections and it may or may or may not have any other symptoms. Elongation without malocclusion can be silent for quite some time before symptoms show up.

Okay thank you

You think he could had just poked his eye with something?

Wouldn't he be having trouble eating and or tooth grinding?

Back