watery eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

My baby boy Nemo has watery left eye and its been a month, other than that he's a happy healthy baby, just wondering, since its been so long, is a vet visit necessary?

Having watery eyes is a symptom of many serious teeth conditions. Please take him to a vet.

I know when any of my other pets have had watery eyes could be an infection and need to take to be treated with antibiotic drops or like an infection vets is a good idea. Hope Nemo gets better !

Thank you guys, I will take him to a vet. The reason of why I waited so long is because you can't really see his eye being watery, its just the fur under his eye is a little messed up. And sometimes he keeps his left eye half open. I thought its an eye infection and it should go away by itself. And its true, it comes and goes. But I think to be on the safe side I should take him to a vet. I just hate seeing him stressed out. I will keep you guys updated.

Tillys did this on and off thing for awhile and I couldn't find a knowledgable vet at the time. Let us know what they say

Both Chins I had with the same symptoms turned out to have dental problems. A blocked tear duct can be another possibility. In my experience, eye infections are very obvious, whitish yellowy push that gets worse and the eye gets glued shut.

Either way it needs to be investigated. My current one lad has just been diagnosed with root elongation and his only outward symptom is eye discharge - the teeth in his mouth are perfect and he'd eating for himself ( he has recently started sneezing also so he's being treated with Baytril)

My chinchilla had the same thing when I just got him...The vet just gave me drops and that cleared it up. I suppose then if it doesnt work there is another problem that should be checked further.....!

Okay, I'm a little scared, I hope its not malocclusion, even it is malocclusion, its still on an early stage right? Since there is no other symptons? And its cureable on the early stage right?
Poor Nemo, I will take him either 12th or the 13th when I'm off. Please keep your fingers crossed.

Errrrrr, my Nemo is just like me, whenever I feel ill I go to a doctor and my symptons will be gone. And here he is, having perfectly looking eyes the day before his vet visit.

Just came back from the vet, didn't get an x-ray because the doctor used a tool to open his mouth and looked inside and he said Nemo's teeth look perfect fine and its definately not malocclusion. Is that good enough?
He said his watery eye is not eye infection either, its caused by narrow tear duct in that one eye with an occasion irretation with the wood bedding. And no treatment is necessary.
So the doctor did other check ups and said Nemo is a perfectly healthy boy.
What you guys think???

Personally I would say that you cannot say for sure without X-rays. Bill has just been diagnosed with Root elongation from x-rays; but when he was put under, the vet said his teeth in his mouth are perfect. So you haven't ruled it out. He is nearly 3.

Keep an eye on his weight , Hay eating and poop. If he looses weight, poop goes small or is eating a lot less hay, get X-rays.

Hope he is ok for you. x

Personally I would say that you cannot say for sure without X-rays. Bill has just been diagnosed with Root elongation from x-rays; but when he was put under, the vet said his teeth in his mouth are perfect. So you haven't ruled it out. He is nearly 3.

Keep an eye on his weight , Hay eating and poop. If he looses weight, poop goes small or is eating a lot less hay, get X-rays.

Hope he is ok for you. x

Thank you very much. I will need to buy a scale then.

Hope he is ok for you. x

I just wanted to second this. You absolutely can not tell if there is root elongation, without X-rays. My little Ralph's teeth looked great with just a visual examination, but the X-rays showed that his roots were elongated.

Thank you very much. I will need to buy a scale then.

A scale is very useful to have. Get a digital one, if you can, it's easier to read when you're weighing a wiggly little chin. I got mine at Target.

I'm going to target now...
And I will keep an eye on him, he loves hay though. He's a picky hay eater, from when he was a baby. He only likes the small thin ones and he tosses away the really thick ones.
And like I said, everything with him is perfectly normal other than the watery eye.
I will keep a close eye on him, if anything goes abnormal I would definately get an x-ray.
Thank you guys!!!

The tear duct drain can be narrowed by elongation of the tooth roots. My 1000 + gram chinchilla went from that to dead in 45 days from advanced elongation without symptoms until he broke his lower jaw from the elongated roots.

Back