Water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

Val

My chinchilla only drinks a few mls of water a day and his poos are a bit small. Besides tap and bottled water is there any other type of water I can try? He is happy and otherwise healthy.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chins normally only drink about 1-3ml of water a day. If his poop is smaller then normal that can be a sign of constipation though. Constipation

Val

Chins normally only drink about 1-3ml of water a day. If his poop is smaller then normal that can be a sign of constipation though. Constipation
Thanks for replying. Glad to hear you say such a small amount, he drinks about 3 mls, a vet said they should drink about 20! But I think he is constipated, have seen him with his behind up in the air as if he is straining, have given him very diluted critical care solution which he loved and it temporarily solved the problem but don't want to have to do it all the time. Maybe I should get gut stimulant from the vet?

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, if feeding watery critical care is not solving the problem I would see the vet, he could have a partial blockage or something going on and need more help going it to pass.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for replying. Glad to hear you say such a small amount, he drinks about 3 mls, a vet said they should drink about 20! But I think he is constipated, have seen him with his behind up in the air as if he is straining, have given him very diluted critical care solution which he loved and it temporarily solved the problem but don't want to have to do it all the time. Maybe I should get gut stimulant from the vet?

Oh crap, I got ml and oz mixed up, they should drink 1-3 ounces a day not milliliters. So that would be like 29.5 to 88.7 ml a day. If he is only drinking 3ml then he is not drinking anywhere near enough water, that's only about 0.1oz he should be drinking at least 10 times that.

Val

Thanks, I wondered about that! He is now taking about 15 mls mostly in the form of very diluted critical care mix. He was aneathsitised and checked over by a vet before Covid and they couldn't find anything wrong and are mystified. He is still very active, happy and got a good appetite.

Latest posts