Water Bottle Nozzle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

My boys have two water bottles. Last week while doing the deep clean I decided to try something different and soak the nozzles in a 60/40 vinegar and water mix for about 5-10 minutes, do a light scrub with the cleaning brush around the nozzle and such, and then finally rinsing with water. Is this cleaning method sufficient, or would I have to go back to using a little bit of dish soap and scrubbing the nozzle by hand and rinsing very well afterwards?

It might be enough, vinegar is a natural antibacterial, but I still like to just do a drop of dish soap when I clean my guys bottles.

It might be enough, vinegar is a natural antibacterial, but I still like to just do a drop of dish soap when I clean my guys bottles.
My main worry is if there's a tiny bit of soap left. I also can't clean the inside of the nozzle because I can't find a brush that's thin enough, so I just drained soapy water through it and hoped for the best.

My main worry is if there's a tiny bit of soap left. I also can't clean the inside of the nozzle because I can't find a brush that's thin enough, so I just drained soapy water through it and hoped for the best.
Oh, I got a straw brush to clean the nozzle of the water bottles.

I can't seem to find one thin enough on Amazon that would fit the nozzle for some reason. :unsure:
Hm, are you looking at bottle brushes or actual drink straw cleaning brushes? The nozzle on most water bottles are about the same as most metal straws. But doing a quick search on Amazon.com I came up with this it's a whole assortment of sizes atleast one of those should fit. The bottle and nozzle cleaning set I have looks like this
1579293925809.png

Hm, are you looking at bottle brushes or actual drink straw cleaning brushes? The nozzle on most water bottles are about the same as most metal straws. But doing a quick search on Amazon.com I came up with this it's a whole assortment of sizes atleast one of those should fit. The bottle and nozzle cleaning set I have looks like this
View attachment 20808
Thank you so much. Is there a specific method you use to making sure all the soap is gone, or do you just rinse it really well? Also, could I use the vinegar method once more if the brushes don't arrive on time?

Thank you so much. Is there a specific method you use to making sure all the soap is gone, or do you just rinse it really well? Also, could I use the vinegar method once more if the brushes don't arrive on time?
I just rinse until I see no more bubbles. The vinegar should be fine, thinking about it it's probably safer too. I never really thought about using vinegar, I use vinegar for my other cleaning of chin stuff, but I guess I've always just thought bottle=dish so use dish soap, lol.

I just rinse until I see no more bubbles. The vinegar should be fine, thinking about it it's probably safer too. I never really thought about using vinegar, I use vinegar for my other cleaning of chin stuff, but I guess I've always just thought bottle=dish so use dish soap, lol.
Would you say soap is still better?

How about one of those thinner brushes now designed for cleaning reusable straws?! You should be able to find one suitable for getting into the nozzle and can use vinegar/water instead of any soap.

Marketing tactics would have us believe we “need” soap, bleach, fragrance, for cleaning. Read labels first. Many household cleaners including dish & laundry soaps (detergents) contain petroleum, artificial colors, and other chemicals. Baking soda works as a scrubbing agent and removes tea or coffee stains from pots & cups. It neutralizes orders, softens water (which allows stain release) and can be safely added to laundry. As previously noted, vinegar is naturally antibacterial and neutralizes urine/ammonia.
I have hedgies and reading this forum have come to realize they are not nearly as labor intensive or sensitive as chins. Drinking from bottles is not a natural position for hedgies so I use dishes. I use dish soap on their dishes and wheels daily. My preferred brand is Seventh Generation as ingredients are plant based, non-petroleum, and it rinsed clean. Liners and blankets are washed using Seveth Generation laundry soap with a bit of baking soda added to the washer. White vinegar is used in the bleach dispenser. I’ve learned that vinegar can act as a fabric softener as well in the washer. BTW this is what I use for my own laundry as well.

Back