Wasteful Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

My two chins enjoy pulling a pretty decent amount of hay out of the hay holder and then peeing all over the layer of hay they made on the cage floor. This is not only wasteful, but also makes it difficult to know how much hay they actually eat. Does anyone know how to stop or at least lessen this habit of theirs?

You can putting smaller amounts of hay in the cage through the day, rather then a whole day's worth at once.

My chins have always picked through their hay and only eat certain pieces. I don’t really monitor how much they eat except to notice that they at least ate some.

They are wasteful and messy little creatures. It’s hard to monitor their hay consumption. I feed twice per day and give small amounts at a time. Most of it ends up on the floor of the cage anyway. As long as they poo normally, all is well.
If you are worried about them chewing and wearing their teeth down, you could provide apple tree sticks- chins usually love them.

I was curious about this as well. My chin has always made a mess with his hay, and I was forever sweeping it up and throwing it out! It's a little better since putting it in the "Super Pet Rollin in the Hay Ball", but only about 50%.

I was curious about this as well. My chin has always made a mess with his hay, and I was forever sweeping it up and throwing it out! It's a little better since putting it in the "Super Pet Rollin in the Hay Ball", but only about 50%.
I am (and I'm sure many other members too) extremely against any type of hay ball. Chinchillas can get their limbs stuck inside, resulting in serious injuries.

Back