Wanting another chin? *may be in wrong place*

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirkyxkayla

First off, this may be in the wrong thread, if so, I'm really sorry!
I've been searching for a place to put it, but couldn't really decide. I'm kind of new to owning a chinchilla and definitely new to buying from a breeder!

I've had my chinchilla for about eight months now, he's grown a lot and I think he's about a year old now. My boyfriend and I got him from someone who didn't want him and knew nothing about him. (Seems like that's the running case with chinchillas.) I've got a plethora of strange animals, so I decided to take him in. Naturally we looked up how to care for him and he's doing great. He's from a pet store, just a standard gray.

I've really been wanting to get him a playmate. And I'll admit, I really want another chin. :] Male, obviously. I've read all about how to integrate two chinchillas to try and get them into the same cage. (Thanks to these forums!!) And I'm prepared if the integration doesn't go well.

It may be selfish, but I'm really wanting a beige colored chin. :]
The only problem is, there's only one chinchilla breeder that's really close to me. (I live in southern indiana!) I've emailed her a couple of times, but no answer.
No pet stores have chinchillas in right now, and in all honesty, I would really hate to buy from a pet store anyway.

I'm prepared to travel a bit to get a good pedigreed chin!

What should I do?
(again, really sorry if this is in the wrong forum!)

I would say to post a thread in "Chinchillas Wanted" and/or check out the chinchillas for sale in the classifieds section of the forum. There are lots of breeders near you. I would just say to carefully consider adding another chinchilla into the mix since there is no guarantee they will get along. I'm very lucky to have a trio of three females who all love each other. You did say you're prepared for if they do not get along, so I wish you the best in your search for a new furry family member!

I'd have to second the post a thread about wanting a beige male chinchilla in the wanted section. You may find someone nearby or find someone who will be traveling through your area that can transport.

I used to live in Southern Indiana (Vincennes..I'm in Indianapolis now) and actually, it is pretty hard to find breeders around that area. Check with Cat75. I picked a chin up from her and her husband in Terre Haute, IN if that's a do-able drive for you. I'm not sure when/if they'll be travelling to that area anytime soon, but you can ask her. She has a beige male available right now. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25190

I used to live in Southern Indiana (Vincennes..I'm in Indianapolis now) and actually, it is pretty hard to find breeders around that area. Check with Cat75. I picked a chin up from her and her husband in Terre Haute, IN if that's a do-able drive for you. I'm not sure when/if they'll be travelling to that area anytime soon, but you can ask her. She has a beige male available right now. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25190

That's very do-able! Thanks you so much!

Back