Vocalisations.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperpot

Chin Mum & Fluffslave!
Just out of curiosity, how vocal are your chins guys? Out of nine, I only have two who are actively vocal. Zulu is still a little skittish and occasionally alarms in the night. Ziggy makes a honking sound, a bit like an elephant seal when he wants interaction, or treats are been handed out. :hmm:

My two, who are a bonded pair of twin brothers chat to each other almost constantly when they are awake and/or out of the cage exploring. They also will make similar little chirp noises to me when they are begging for a treat or stick or they are out of pellets. They alarm call sometimes randomly, maybe a couple times a week. Normally when I hear them alarm I am playing a game with scary sounds (like diablo) or they hear a song they don't like the sound of. They are in my computer room (opposite side of the house then my bedroom) so I don't really know if they cry at night, but when I have slept in here or had them in my room I didn't notice anything.

Its been about 50/50 with my chins, half were noisey, half were silent. The ones I have now, two are noise makers-if they are awake they always are noisey, the other only peeps when held.

He alarms once in a while during the night, it's not often.
He also makes a grunting noise when he's annoyed at me (when I gently move him away from something he shouldn't be chewing).

Overall, he's pretty quiet.

Back