Vet says too small for pain meds

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addictedtochins

Socially inept
My friend Michelle is at work so I am posting for her. Her 5 month old female chin Angel got her hind leg caught and was found dangling. She chewed her leg to try to free herself so there are puncture wounds as well as swelling and not using the leg. She was taken to a vet who claims to treat chinchillas and was given Baytril antibiotic and told to wait and see if a amputation is needed later. But the Vet said she was too small for pain meds! She is 5 mo. and 464 grams and otherwise healthy. She's not too small is she? What dose Metcam should she have and is there a place (vet type web site) to direct her to show her she is wrong? Thanks

Lily's been on metacam before, and she's never weighed more then 481g. I hope that baby gets some pain meds soon :-/

Gino at his lightest was 390gm, he was on a high dose of metecam along with buprenex. Vet needs to do more research on the subject. I know anything under 400gms vets do not want to put the chin under gas unless the owner is well advised the chin can die but I never heard of the pain med thing.

Oops, yeah, with Merck you have to search by generic name, in this case meloxicam.

My Kitt is on metacam, she weighs 480, a little nervous. Hopefully it works, she just broke the upper part of her pelvis on the right and left side...

I agree with the others. If she wants to play it safe, one drop will work 0.01 ml Between the pain she has now and the baytril, she may lose her appetite. Have you seen her eating or drinking at all?

Last edited:
Back