VERY worried! something's not right?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylaD

I know it seems I am panicking, but Roo is really acting very strange. Very lethargic, just walked in to check on him, and he was laying on his side(which he has never done in front of us) and wouldnt move until I sort of nudged him. He is normally waking up around this time and wanting out to play, and he is barely moving. I am so nervous over this behavior, because we just recently lost out older, very sweet guinea pig. So this sort of rubs my nerves the wrong way... Is there anything I can or should do to help him?

Lethargy can be the sign of a lot of problems. It's probably a good idea to call around and find a vet, who can see him right away. If he's lethargic and not acting like himself, he is in real danger. Is he moving or reacting when you touch him?

AZ is right! It happens very fast with Chinchillas. I would look for a vet open tonight yet!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

You mention that he didn't move until you nudged him. Is he acting fine now that he's up, or did you just think that he seemed lethargic by lying on his side period? Some chins sleep on their side, though you don't always catch them. My main concern would be, how is he acting now?

Hopefully when you nudge him he gets up and starts acting normal aside from naturally being irritated that you interrupted his beauty sleep. When I first saw some of my chins sleeping this way I got freaked out too but now I know it is normal and I just look to see if they are breathing now and I leave them alone. I even have one who likes to sleep on her back with all 4 feet pointing straight up in the air...lol

Like everyone else has said if he is awake and still letharic for any fair amount of time then you have a serious problem and I would get him to a vet asap. Hope he is ok though!!!!

Sorry I didnt reply back very quick! So heres what went on with Roo; After I nudged him, he sat up but was still VERY lethargic and very still. So I decided to get him out and try play time, to see if he would move around a bit, and possibly wake up some. He still acted a little strange, at first, didnt really run around much and was pretty concerned with the door and wanting out of the bathroom. He was even "begging" at me to open it! On his hind legs, walking/hoping in and out of my legs. So I sat down and it seemed to make him give up on the door a little. Then he started running and jumping like wild, and climbing all over me! Would run up every now and then for a good behind the ear scritch and shove his nose to my lips for a little kiss! Seemed much better! After about 45mins he got sleepy and squished against me for a rest. So I took him back to his cage, and while I cleaned up and refreshed everything, he was his normal Roo running and climbing all over me! I put a tv in his room, and that definitely helped him too! He now has been in the upper level of his cage, that before, he would barely even peak into!
So I am reallllllly just hoping his lethargy(ignoring me) was a "punishment" for the stress of a new cage, and he is now moving on! Haha
We have also been considering getting another male chin(a baby/kit) and of course after quarentine and proper intros, letting Roo have a cagemate and friend! And I do have the double ferret nation, so IF anything did happen I have enoug room to seperate them... I will post about this later after more research and such! Haha

Back