VERY dry ears.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So one of my chinchillas has really dry ears. I haven't seen him scratch them, but then again I'm only around for about an hour during the evening. His brother also has slightly dry ears but not nearly as bad. Does anyone have
any solutions?

20191128_234927.jpg

Last edited:
You can use either Bag Balm or pop open a Vitamin E capsule and spread it on there. How often are you doing their dust baths?

You can use either Bag Balm or pop open a Vitamin E capsule and spread it on there. How often are you doing their dust baths?
Wednesday and Sunday. Why are those pink bald spots on the base of behind his ear there? Also, how often do I apply the Bag Balm and how much do I use?

Edwyn's ears looked like that, and he never scratched them either. I never thought it was "dry," just how they looked. There weren't any flakes of dry skin in his cage, even when I'd have to use paper towels or other substrates where flaked skin would've shown up easily, so I never worried about it. If you rub his ears lightly, does it come off on your hands?

Pandamonium pets on Etsy sells balm for that if it is dry ear. They have some emergency kits that include it or by itself

You can find Bag Balm in little tins at Walmart. Just rub small amount onto his ears a couple of times a day for a few days, and obviously not right before or after you’ve dusted him.

Edwyn's ears looked like that, and he never scratched them either. I never thought it was "dry," just how they looked. There weren't any flakes of dry skin in his cage, even when I'd have to use paper towels or other substrates where flaked skin would've shown up easily, so I never worried about it. If you rub his ears lightly, does it come off on your hands?
I'm not sure, as he's very squirmish and hates to be held. But the pink spots seem to get more obvious as the days go by, and the area around them looks like it could flake off if I really tried.

Edit: I applied Bag Balm on his ears, and I also rubbed them with my fingers. They didn't flake, but then again I didn't apply much pressure either. Now we have a minor issue. Because he's so squirmish, I got some balm residue on his fur.:rolleyes: Does anyone know how to get it off?

Last edited:
It should work itself off with his next dustbath or two. Unless it’s a huge glob I wouldn’t worry about it.

One of my girls has dry ears that really only shows up in winter. I assumed it's because she's a beige and her ears are lighter. I have some bag balm around and watch for it to get to the point where I need it.

Back